Cursor focus is in address bar? (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
chameau

Cursor focus is in address bar? (Linux)

Post by chameau »

System: desktop computer running Linux Mint 20.3
Firefox version: mint-001 -1.0 (that is 105.0)

Since the latest update when I first open Firefox, the cursor focus is in the address bar!? should be in the Google search box (in the middle of the page) where it always was prior to the latest update.
Strangely enough, when I click on the 'Firefox Home Page' icon, the page re-loads with the cursor focus in the Google search box as it should be??
I looked at all the 'preference settings and I tried a few suggestions from other posts that involved changing 'About:config' settings but non worked! (not surprising as they were old!)

I don't know if this is a bug or some supposed Improvement, but I would like my browser to open with the focus in the Google (or other search engines) search box. How do I change/restore this function? Thanks
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 22nd, 2022, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux added to subject)
ltsnow

Re: Cursor focus is in address bar? (Linux)

Post by ltsnow »

You are not alone. This intentional change was made in August. I first noticed it in the nightly build. It finally made its way into 105 Final release.

Now for the good news. It has been fixed in today's nightly build (107) and it will be fixed in 106 beta 3 coming out any day now. It will be fixed in the next 105 release (105.0.1) on or before October 4th. BTW, I am using windows but the same thing applies to Linux.

You can read about it here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1784692
chameau

Post by chameau »

Thanks Itsnow for the information I will look out for the 105.01 update. So this was an intentional change.... I fail to see in what circumstance having the focus in the address bar would be an advantage!? Looks like developers sometimes dream up changes without considering if it is actually an improvement! (the 'new print preview' comes to mind!?)
chameau

Post by chameau »

Thanks Itsnow for the information I will look out for the 105.01 update. So this was an intentional change.... I fail to see in what circumstance having the focus in the address bar would be an advantage!? Looks like developers sometimes dream up changes without considering if it is actually an improvement! (the 'new print preview' comes to mind!?)
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

chameau wrote:Thanks Itsnow for the information I will look out for the 105.01 update. So this was an intentional change.... I fail to see in what circumstance having the focus in the address bar would be an advantage!? Looks like developers sometimes dream up changes without considering if it is actually an improvement! (the 'new print preview' comes to mind!?)
You are exactly right. This was a ridiculous change IMHO. It sparked concern almost immediately as can be seen in the bugzilla post from one person who works for a company that had to roll back 300 computers to 104 because of this change. To their credit they acted quite swiftly to remedy the situation.

BTW, 105.0.1 is now out so all builds are fixed.