How do I edit the Search Bar history?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tonydi

How do I edit the Search Bar history?

Post by tonydi »

I use the separate Search Bar in the Bookmark Bar. Over the years I've built up enough typos and near duplicates and other fluff that I'd like not to come up as suggestions as I begin to type a new search. Is there a way to edit that history? I can highlight entries and do a shift-delete on individual entries but it only seems to work sometimes and not others. Is there an another way get the whole list to edit?
dickvl

Re: How do I edit the Search Bar history?

Post by dickvl »

The search bar list is stored in a SQLite database named formhistory.sqlite.
You can use an (online) SQLite editing tool or remove the file or use "Clear Recent History" to clear saved form data to start with a fresh file.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data
Last edited by dickvl on November 15th, 2022, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonydi

Post by tonydi »

Ahh, ok. I saw that file but I didn't realize that the search bar history is stored alongside the regular History in that db.

Thanks, dickvl!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Hmm.. my Search Bar which is on the Address Bar will let me remove entries by moving the cursor keys down the list and pressing Shift-Delete. Also, is seems pressing just Delete also works.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

MarkRH -- What you describe is the Windows method of tagging/marking entries to delete. You may know a lot of people do not use a dedicated search field on the browser window any longer since the URL bar handles searches when a word is entered without http://, .com, .net, .bus or any other .extension -- self included. I don't think I have used a search field for 15 years or so when all the browser developers implemented that capability. leaves more space for the URL and addon buttons. Just FYI.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Oh I know I can remove it. I just choose not to. One thing about it, it keeps all my searches out of the address bar drop-down. Anyway, things can be removed from the address bar drop-down the same way (incorrectly typed in websites and such). At least Firefox allows you to choose which to use it.