Firefox-ESR 102.7 update history log location

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
webmoebius

Firefox-ESR 102.7 update history log location

Post by webmoebius »

I'm trying to find out where Firefox-ESR 102.X and Firefox regular release stores it's update logs as to version numbers and dates that updates were installed. I've looked high and low in Mozilla related folders in both system folders and also Mozilla profile folders and couldn't find anything. I also looked in Windows-10 system registry as well. I'm not referring to update installer / program file download archive folders, but rather, the update log entries as I'm trying to delete them. But if someone knows the update installer download archival folder (provided that the update process doesn't delete installed updates installer EXE files) then I'd like to know where those are stored also. But my main goal right now is to wipe out the Firefox update log entries and can't find where they are stored on disc folders or Windows-10 registry. Thanks for any input.
morat

Re: Firefox-ESR 102.7 update history log location

Post by morat »

Are you asking about the Update History dialog?

Menu Bar > Help > More Troubleshooting Info > App Basics > Update History > Show Update History

There should be an updates.xml file in the update folder.

Menu Bar > Help > More Troubleshooting Info > App Basics > Update Folder > Open Folder

XML Pretty Print
http://www.samltool.com/prettyprint.php

P.S.

Here is how to open the updates.xml file in a new tab using the browser console. (syntax highlighted and text wrapped)

Code: Select all

gBrowser.addTab(Services.dirsvc.get("UpdRootD", Ci.nsIFile).path + "\\updates.xml", {
  triggeringPrincipal: Services.scriptSecurityManager.getSystemPrincipal(),
});
nsIUpdateManager has update history with timestamps.

Code: Select all

(function () {
  function formatDate(seconds) {
    var date = new Date(seconds);
    var dtOptions = {year: "numeric", month: "long", day: "numeric",
      hour: "numeric", minute: "numeric", second: "numeric"};
    return date.toLocaleString(undefined, dtOptions);
  }
  var um = Cc["@mozilla.org/updates/update-manager;1"].getService(Ci.nsIUpdateManager);
  var update = um.getUpdateAt(0); // 0 is most recent update
  alert("name: " + update.name + "\nbuildID: " + update.buildID + "\ninstallDate: " +
    update.installDate + "\nformatDate: " + formatDate(update.installDate));
})();
name: Firefox 108.0.2
buildID: 20230104165113
installDate: 1673052204435
formatDate: January 6, 2023 at 6:43:24 PM
Reference
http://searchfox.org/mozilla-release/so ... history.js
webmoebius

Re: Firefox-ESR 102.7 update history log location

Post by webmoebius »

Thanks for your reply and code fragments. I'm simply trying to delete that update history log that you correctly referred to, and not needing to open it, since it's contents is viewable within Firefox's General settings panel. I needed either a disc path to the updates log file, and/or the filename of the update logs, which you mentioned was UPDATES.XML. A simple command prompt line of:

dir updates.xml /s

found that there were no such files in the Firefox user profile folder, nor was it in the Firefox programs folders which is what I expected since the log survived the complete manual uninstallation of the program. So I figured it must have been in the OS boot drive in other Windows system folders. That file was ultimately detected using the above command under a subfolder within the path:

c:\users\<username>\all users\

I deleted the file and restarted Firefox-ESR and confirmed the history log was cleared completely. Problem solved.