How to remove Firefox 109 New Extensions Button?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
thomaz

How to remove Firefox 109 New Extensions Button?

Post by thomaz »

With Firefox 109 i have this unnecessary new "Puzzle" Button in the upper right corner.
When i click on it i get to the "Reccomendations" Page.
Of course i tried to remove it by using "Customize Toolbar" but it isnt movebale or removeable.
So, how can get rid of it?
:)
dickvl

Re: How to remove Firefox 109 New Extensions Button?

Post by dickvl »

You can look at this pref on the about:config page and toggle the pref to false.
extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled = false
Close and restart Firefox to make the change effective and hide the new Extensions button
Last edited by dickvl on January 17th, 2023, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

I'm having the same issue! I'm wondering if this is a bug? I've done a refresh, uninstall/reinstall and the Extensions Button is blocking all my Add-Ons. I can't use my Blockers, Timers, Highlighter, NONE of my Add-Ons. The Add-Ons are in my Add-Ons area, but they aren't accessible via the Toolbar, which I need to access them and have Ublocker, block.
Last edited by BuzWeaver on January 17th, 2023, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomaz

Post by thomaz »

Yep, "extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled = false" works.
thx a lot. :)
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

When I click that new FF109 extensions toolbar button, I initially get something different: a simple box at the top right of the screen, labeled "Extensions" showing a partial list of installed extensions and a "Manage Extensions" link at the bottom that leads to the regular extensions manager. Based on another post below, this list seems to be of extension buttons that don't fit on the toolbar.
Last edited by Ed1 on January 19th, 2023, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

dickvl wrote:You can look at this pref on the about:config page and toggle the pref to false.
Close and restart Firefox to make the change effective and hide the new Extensions button
Thank you! I'm not sure what caused this to begin with (an update I guess), but I spent nearly an hour Refreshing/Uninstalling/Re-Installing FF. Add-Ons aren't all working as of yet either. There seems to be a bit of an issue with Ad Blockers. I think I may have resolved it.
impar

Post by impar »

Can someone explain to me why the button cant be moved?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I think that the plans are to make it possible to customize the list it shows and maybe also move this button around.
Its major purpose is to get support for future Manifest V3 extensions that allow finer tuning as is possible via about:addons and that is the main reason why it can't be removed (it replaces the overflow area for extensions).

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/unified-extensions
roninx

Post by roninx »

I had the same issue, but finally managed (thru about:config) to turn off that puzzle piece, but doing that caused another problem.

My "More Tools" button is showing again, and I can't figure out how hide it. Can anyone tell me how turn it off, or hide it (again)?

It's the button that looks like >>
ReggieNJ

Post by ReggieNJ »

dickvl wrote:You can look at this pref on the about:config page and toggle the pref to false.
That preference will likely be removed in a future version. Better to use this CSS code:

Code: Select all

#unified-extensions-button {display: none !important;}
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

If the #unified-extensions-button is removed, how can a user get to the Firefox Account page (which is listed when that button is pressed)?

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of the >> button.
Last edited by Ed1 on January 19th, 2023, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morat

Post by morat »

@Ed1

Doesn't the #unified-extensions-button button simply open the about:addons page?

Menu Bar > Tools > Addons and Themes
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

That button displays a drop-down of a bunch of your extensions. At the bottom of the list is a "Manage Extensions" item that does open about:addons. In previous versions (before 109) there was a button that also looked like a puzzle piece that all it did was open about:addons. I was so used to using Tools -> Add-ons and Themes that I never used it. Just seems like an extra button that does kind of the same thing as the overflow button if that button is not present.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

morat wrote:@Ed1

Doesn't the #unified-extensions-button button simply open the about:addons page?

Yes, morat, I was mistaken. I was thinking of the >> overflow button, which does have a link/button to the user's Firefox Account.

I don't think the #unified-extensions-button just opens the about:addons page though. It seems to be an overflow list of addon buttons that don't fit on the toolbar. (@dickvl pointed this out above, and that is probably why it is not movable.) One needs to click on the Manage Extensions link/button at the bottom of that list to get to the about:addons page.
roninx

Post by roninx »

Ed1 wrote:
morat wrote:@Ed1

Yes, morat, I was mistaken. I was thinking of the >> overflow button, which does have a link/button to the user's Firefox Account.
How do you hide (get rid of) the >> button?