Removing Extension Icon from Toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
robge99221

Removing Extension Icon from Toolbar

Post by robge99221 »

Firefox 110.x changed the location of the extensions icon to the far right on the toolbar, and you can't change the location or remove it, with new function added to edit extensions activities.

But making "extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled" false, you can retrieve the classic simple function and also change the location on toolbar (or remove) as you wish.

And now, Firefox 111.0 has been introduced and the "extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled" no longer working.

Anyone knows how to retrieve the classic extension icon, which you can change the location (or remove) on toolbar, with NO editing function, as used to be?
ltsnow

Re: Removing Extension Icon from Toolbar

Post by ltsnow »

Don't know about the classic button, but you can remove it as I always do with this userChrome:

#unified-extensions-button{
display: none !important;
}
robge99221

Post by robge99221 »

Thanks, I can now get rid of it from the toolbar.
morat

Post by morat »

You can get a toolbarbutton id using the Browser Toolbox utility.

Here is a trick to show the toolbarbutton ids or menuitem ids using the userChrome.css file.

Code: Select all

toolbarbutton::after { content: attr(id); }

menuitem::before { content: attr(id) "\2002"; }
CSS content property
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_gen_content.php
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode ... /index.htm
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

It sure would be great if those working on the browser would stop forcing users to have icons. Where's all that versatility that it boasted about having when it first started up and ran on for decades? Now it's, "You will have these icons on your toolbar and be happy with them!"

Anyway...
ltsnow wrote:Don't know about the classic button, but you can remove it as I always do with this userChrome:

}

Do you have step-by-step instructions? I don't know how to make one of these.
Never give anyone your two cents because it's only a penny for your thoughts.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Robwood wrote:It sure would be great if those working on the browser would stop forcing users to have icons. Where's all that versatility that it boasted about having when it first started up and ran on for decades? Now it's, "You will have these icons on your toolbar and be happy with them!"

Anyway...
ltsnow wrote:Don't know about the classic button, but you can remove it as I always do with this userChrome:

}

Do you have step-by-step instructions? I don't know how to make one of these.
Sure, here you go. First you have to make sure you have this setting changed:

Firefox requires the following preference to be enabled for custom styles to be loaded:
'about:config > toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets > true'
Firefox preferences can be accessed by typing `about:config` into the url bar.

Then go to your profile folder and create a new folder called "Chrome". Inside that folder create a file called "userChrome.css" (You make this file by creating a blank text file and then saving it as "userChrome.css". When you save the file be sure to select "all types"not text or it will be saved as a text file.

Then, just enter the code into the userChrome.css file.
}
Thant's it. You will no longer have the button in your toolbar.

BTW, you can always go to https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx and see all the great things you can do with this.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that if you hide this button then you won't be able to pin extensions to the Navigation Toolbar or otherwise manage their options.
Hiding this button is only useful if you do not have extensions installed and instead this button opens the about:addons page.
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

dickvl wrote:Note that if you hide this button then you won't be able to pin extensions to the Navigation Toolbar or otherwise manage their options.
Hiding this button is only useful if you do not have extensions installed and instead this button opens the about:addons page.
So you're saying that if I get rid of the puzzle piece, then everything to the left will disappear, too. Am I interpreting your statement correctly?

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

No, that is not what I wrote. You keep the current toolbar configuration, but you won't be able to add newly installed extensions to the toolbar as by default they will end up in the Extensions button drop down list and can't be added via the customize page.
The Extensions button drop down list serves as overflow area for extensions you install.
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

dickvl wrote:No, that is not what I wrote. You keep the current toolbar configuration, but you won't be able to add newly installed extensions to the toolbar as by default they will end up in the Extensions button drop down list and can't be added via the customize page.
The Extensions button drop down list serves as overflow area for extensions you install.
Fantastic!
ltsnow wrote:Sure, here you go. First you have to make sure you have this setting changed:
I've done this for a previous icon that refused to go away, so I already have a userChrome.css file. Would all I need to do is take the code that you've provided and add it in?
ltsnow wrote:BTW, you can always go to https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx and see all the great things you can do with this.
I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks! I'm not this computer literate, but perhaps I'll be able to work something one day.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Robwood wrote:
dickvl wrote:No, that is not what I wrote. You keep the current toolbar configuration, but you won't be able to add newly installed extensions to the toolbar as by default they will end up in the Extensions button drop down list and can't be added via the customize page.
Fantastic!
ltsnow wrote:Sure, here you go. First you have to make sure you have this setting changed:
I've done this for a previous icon that refused to go away, so I already have a userChrome.css file. Would all I need to do is take the code that you've provided and add it in?
ltsnow wrote:BTW, you can always go to https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx and see all the great things you can do with this.
I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks! I'm not this computer literate, but perhaps I'll be able to work something one day.
I found out how to change the puzzle icon to the classic one:
#unified-extensions-button {
list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/chevron.svg") !important;
}

This will give you the classic button but you still can't move it. Or just hide as the other code I posted would do. And yes just put the code in the userChrome.css file that you previously made.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Control of the icon in about:config is removed or has a trash can next to it.
The two unified-extensions items have no real effect on the appearance or disappearance of the icon in about:config.
The CSS code may help but it may be only temporary,
Consider the about:welcome removal in /edit/settings/Privacy&Security which cannot be deleted or disabled in video audio exceptions.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox still has the classic chevron (>>) overflow area that is used for built-in toolbar buttons like you see in the Customize palette.
Changing the Extensions button icon to an extra chevron will only cause confusion.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... d-toolbars
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

Make it moveable: see https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/com ... cript_code

Make it invisible but still clickable:

width: 3px;
    padding-inline: 0 !important
}
#unified-extensions-button > .toolbarbutton-icon {
    width: 0 !important;
}
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

The unified extension button will become moveable via 'Customize Toolbar' with FF v113.