"Advertisement" Rectangle Blocks View of Web Page

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Clueless in Seattle

"Advertisement" Rectangle Blocks View of Web Page

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

Could you take a look at this screenshot and help me figure out why there's a wide narrow rectangle blocking the text of a web page?

ImageFirefox Advertisement Gray Rectangle Blocks Text on Web Page by Will Anderson, on Flickr

This problem doesn't occur when I view the same web page in MS Edge. (But I try to avoid using Edge because it seems to crash my antique hand-me-down laptop).

As far as I can tell I have all my adblocking Firefox addons disabled. Could there be a Firefox setting that is doing this this?

And as far as I can recall, this annoyance only occurs on the Washington Post web site (but I have to confess that my memory's not all that reliable these days)>

I'm running Firefox 114.0 (64-bit) under Windows 10 22H2

Re: "Advertisement" Rectangle Blocks View of Web Page

Post by gdot179 »

Obviously, the content is blocked by you or the Post itself.

The banner is not blocked but its content is.

The Post wants you to sign up so it places a banner to part of the page to annoy you into signing up for that particular news article.

Are you sure any ad-blockers are actually shut down and not just set to not block a site?

Sites can run test algorithms to see if you have active ad-blockers regardless of your settings.

With NoScript you can actually see who is accessing Firefox and perhaps get a clue.

I won't go into Firefox settings since they are easily changed to see any effect.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
jscher2000

Re: "Advertisement" Rectangle Blocks View of Web Page

Post by jscher2000 »

Does the little white X at the upper right corner of the translucent gray patch remove it?