Looks like IE has everything..popblocker & extensions in

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Um, no. I use & like Mozilla and I want others to use it too. But, if IE has all of Mozilla's selling points and is more refined (and installed OOB!), then people will use IE.

That's all.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Anonymous wrote:Um, no. I use & like Mozilla and I want others to use it too. But, if IE has all of Mozilla's selling points and is more refined (and installed OOB!), then people will use IE.

That's all.

If theyr'e not worried about security holes etc. they might, but personally I will not use IE except for Windows Update. I don't have to add third party programs to prevent drive-by downloads or other such nonsense.

[added]

I forgot to mention the speed advantage Moz and FB both have over IE on my dial up connection, no comparison.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Most people already use IE. Do you think it'd be that big of a change when IE 7 comes out? If IE wants to include already popular feature, then it can. In fact, that's a good business strategy. But IMO, Mozilla/Firebird offers so much more than just extensions and other stuff.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

JamezPR wrote:Funny you were taken in by this crap. heh Actually I couldn't get to any of your pictures you posted.

You have to copy/paste the address's,you cant click them from his message!!!

The Dude :)
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

Hum ... I didn't know about the download manager in IE as I'm always looking for alternative browsers.

What I have to say is that IE starts faster on my PC than FB and needs less ressources, but I regularly have corrupted files while downloading from IE when it never happened with FB!

I love the tab system and I hate being spyed by Bill or somebody else and have to install everytime addon just to surf quietly (like the message IE wants to send everytime it crashes, or Palladium ... that's really a breach into privacy, what they're gonna create next time to control us ??!!)

Concerning 2006, we'll see on time what's gonna happen then ...

Post by Guest »

If theyr'e not worried about security holes etc. they might, but personally I will not use IE except for Windows Update. I don't have to add third party programs to prevent drive-by downloads or other such nonsense.

Most people dont know or care about "security holes" and suchlike. People, in general, will use what they're given, unless you give them a damn good reason to do so. The premise of this post is not really that stupid, as if later IE versions do have things present in Mozilla, potential Firebird users wont bother.

You can argue it all you like, and of course, promote Firebird, but many people exist in this world that just dont give a damn, as long as what they have loads their pages, and in reality, for people like my parents, Firebird will not offer them anything more than IE (but I changed their default browser anyway, mwaha).

As for my point of view: I think Firebird will come out on top, as it's simply so user-orientated in it's design. As standard, you get a "basic" browser, that is secure and does the job, and can add to it's functionality with relative ease. IE will probably never be skinnable to the same extent and will likely never include non-MS extensions, and therefore, the innovation stops where it always has with Microsoft. One step behind everyone else.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Anonymous wrote:Most people dont know or care about "security holes" and suchlike.

Many of them are learning, every forum I visit is filled with IE problems. People don't know how to secure IE (as well as it can be), so it winds up being a spyware/malware riddled mess.

I have converted more than a few folks into Mozilla or Firebird users. I always recommend that they get IE into working condition first though and try to help them the best I can to configure it for the best security possible.
jorhett

Re: Looks like IE has everything..popblocker & extension

Post by jorhett »

Anonymous wrote:Looks like IE has everything covered.
*snip* I"m just wondering because it seems like all the innovation has been done and all that's needed for 1.0 is some minor tweaks. Nothing revolutionary.

The next version is MSIE will ONLY work on Microsoft Longhorn -- no cross-platform code -- and it isn't supposed to ship until, that's right, 2007.

So .. uh, what does Firebird have? It works today.
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

So far I've been pretty happy that IE hasn't included any pop-up blocking abilities. I figure as long as the majority of users out there are stuck seeing 'em, web developers aren't going to dig around for new creative ways to force me to see 'em. It seems to work pretty well too. With the Google Toolbar getting popular all the sudden though, and these rumors about an IE 6.2 (theres a bad MS-DOS memory for ya') having built in pop-up blocking, I have little doubt that advertisers are gonna find ways to get around pop-up blockers. Does anyone else wonder if that's going to be a problem, or is the plan just to update FB quickly everytime something like that sneaks up. I guess that would work, but I've just grown fond being in the elite and not having to worry about stuff like that at all.

On a side note, security issues are the least of my reasons for not using IE. Perhaps they should be higher on the list, but I'm not downloading things anymore with spyware built-in. I don't think I've ever gotten a virus from using IE either. I guess I'm just saying that because I don't figure many other people worry about 'em either. It's not a selling point for FB. It seems like people here are always holding that up as the great end all reason that FB is great, but I think most of us don't care. Tabbed browsing is nice. It'd be neat to see it turned into a fully windowed thing eventually, so that you could have two or three tabs open at once, but whatever. Popup blocking is great. Security advantages, I could care less about. Maybe I'm alone there though.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

I think they might use yahoo groups style:

Yahoo groups is a advertising supported service
Click here to proceed to the message:
[full page ad here]

of course, all geeks will still filter out the ads.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Sneezy

Post by Sneezy »

I would say IE is behind the times if they are just thinking about pop up blocking ect.

IMHO, FB has raised the bar for IE, not the other way around.

Post by Guest »

LeRoi wrote:Many of them are learning, every forum I visit is filled with IE problems. People don't know how to secure IE (as well as it can be), so it winds up being a spyware/malware riddled mess.

I have converted more than a few folks into Mozilla or Firebird users. I always recommend that they get IE into working condition first though and try to help them the best I can to configure it for the best security possible.

I think you're right in a way, but in reality more users wont know/care/understand than the ones that will, and therefore security is only a selling point through consultancy or advice.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Um, no. I use & like Mozilla and I want others to use it too. But, if IE has all of Mozilla's selling points and is more refined (and installed OOB!), then people will use IE.

That's all.

People are already using Avant, my ie2 etc