Unable to launch IE after Firefox install

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MommylovesRJ

Unable to launch IE after Firefox install

Post by MommylovesRJ »

I downloaded Firefox Beta 1 a few days ago. For the first few days, we were able to use either IE or Firefox as our broswer (dh prefers IE)...well, now we cannot even launch IE. I have done everything I can think...ensured that FF isn't set to be the default browser, etc etc. I cannot go through IE tools, etc, because of not launching.

Running XP...unsure of processor speed, but computer is a year old, if that helps. Also, I have done multimple spyware/antivirus scans, and nothing has come up. Help?
Giorgio Maone

Re: Unable to launch IE after Firefox install

Post by Giorgio Maone »

MommylovesRJ wrote:I downloaded Firefox Beta 1 a few days ago. For the first few days, we were able to use either IE or Firefox as our broswer (dh prefers IE)...well, now we cannot even launch IE. I have done everything I can think...ensured that FF isn't set to be the default browser, etc etc. I cannot go through IE tools, etc, because of not launching.

Running XP...unsure of processor speed, but computer is a year old, if that helps. Also, I have done multimple spyware/antivirus scans, and nothing has come up. Help?

Very unlikely to be related to Firefox, but yet a lucky condition ;)

What does happen if you open a DOS shell (Start|Execute, type "cmd.exe", hit Enter), and in the black terminal window you type
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
and hit Enter?
Last edited by Giorgio Maone on September 22nd, 2005, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Not iexplorer.exe (that would be a trojan), "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

Post by Guest »

It says it is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

Sorry...above post by guest was mine
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Type iexplore.exe into the run dialogue and press enter, does IE launch?
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

Type iexplore.exe into the run dialogue and press enter, does IE launch?

The browser window will open, but it will not launch.
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

It's almost as though it's not responding.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

MommylovesRJ wrote:The browser window will open, but it will not launch.

Sounds like a firewall issue if the window opens but the page does not load. Have you updated your firewall or changed any firewall configs?

What firewall product do you use?
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

Norton. I located a thread here about possible issues with Norton and Firefox, but they must have been using an older version for the screenshots, cos it looked far different from what we have. As a general, I can figure out what needs to be clicked on, etc...but this was considerably different. Been trying to address this for a few days, as dh is ready to wring my neck for loading Firefox! :p
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Norton must be the most troublesome firewall in general use, or it seems that way to me.

Not sure what to tell you to try, but I was trying to help someone the other day that finally fixed their Norton problem, maybe their solution could help you? It seems like a lot of work though:

click here
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

Thank you SOOOOO much...going to go check that link, and hopefully get this straightened out. I appreciate your help greatly!
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You're more than welcome. Please let us know whether or not you get the issue resolved. We will continue to do our best to help you until you get it fixed.
MommylovesRJ

Post by MommylovesRJ »

*Sigh* Seems a new can of worms may be on the plate now. I foloowed your link LeRoi, and attempted to do what was suggested in the thread. Anytime I attempt to change settings, what I need to click on is unclickable...yk...you can see it, but you are unable to actually click on it. Plus, I get a message saying "you do not have the neccessary rights to to configure all the features of the selected item".
DH and I are listed as supervisor, so that in itself shouldn't be an issue. Could it be due to trying to access Prgram Control, etc, though Firefox, it is not recognizing me as a supervisor?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Hmm, not sure what to advise, except maybe a search of Symantec's knowledge base and perhaps contact their support. I haven't used their firewall (I sure don't want to tell you to do something that is wrong), but I know it is not free and they should be more than happy to help you with any problems you have with their product. And I truly believe this is a firewall problem, but I have been wrong before...