Cant copy and paste in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
junglemom

Post by junglemom »

AH! I fixed it!
LOL
I uninstalled almost every new extension added in the last 3 days and it now works again.

It has to be one of the newest extensions that is messing us all up.

As soon as I have a moment I will try to list all of the ones I deleted to see if we all had the same ones.
Since I couldn't cut or copy them, I have no written record of them,
so I'll have to go by memory. whew!
Kris Silver

Post by Kris Silver »

This sounds like Windows is playing a part in this, from this and other reports. Guest and anyone, there's extensions to help with this too.

Linkification: turns text links into clickable links https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... php?id=190
Drag to Tab: A feature already in Fx 1.5, drag text links to tab icon etc. https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... php?id=335

And there's more out there!
junglemom

Post by junglemom »

OK, those are 2 of the ones I uninstalled, since you can't highlight at all w/ this issue, it would not allow you to drag it so those did not help.
Kris Silver

Post by Kris Silver »

Hang on, not all people reporting this problem are saying they can highlight whatsoever, especially not in web pages, so I understand. Also, Linkification means double clicking text links, immediately loads them, not copying or pasting. You can change its settings to text links appear as normal links too!
jfklives

Post by jfklives »

I have no extensions installed right now and still have the same problem
junglemom

Post by junglemom »

Yeah, I could not even highlight, let alone cut or copy on any page:both in emails or websites- nowhere but a box I was typing into at that moment.
(and I didn't know that you could double click on it and it would open. I may add that back in)

I am compiling my list right now of what I deleted. Maybe that can help others find a fix as I did?
jfklives

Post by jfklives »

junglemom wrote:Yeah, I could not even highlight, let alone cut or copy on any page:both in emails or websites- nowhere but a box I was typing into at that moment.
(and I didn't know that you could double click on it and it would open. I may add that back in)

I am compiling my list right now of what I deleted. Maybe that can help others find a fix as I did?
It's cool that you're machine is fixed but I don't feel that your solution is the root of our problem. I've got no extensions installed and still cannot copy/paste
junglemom

Post by junglemom »

here is a list of what I deleted, so one of these might be the culprit:

quick links
tab switcher
linkification
drag to tab
pong
add bookmark here
duplicate tab
forward fork
flat style
amazing webpage emailer
hammer time
how'd I get here
link preview
open link in

I *think* that was it.
I will do another search through the options lists and add any that I have missed.
I am fairly sure that there were 2 more.
Last edited by junglemom on October 12th, 2005, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglemom

Post by junglemom »

((((I don't feel that your solution is the root of our problem. I've got no extensions installed and still cannot copy/paste)))

well, rats! I was so excited to maybe have a fix for others! :-(
Well, maybe it will work for a few others?
I am at a loss to explain what has happened.
jfklives

Post by jfklives »

junglemom wrote:((((I don't feel that your solution is the root of our problem. I've got no extensions installed and still cannot copy/paste)))

well, rats! I was so excited to maybe have a fix for others! :-(
Well, maybe it will work for a few others?
I am at a loss to explain what has happened.
Don't feel too bad, maybe your machine will remain problem free :-P
Kris Silver

Post by Kris Silver »

As said, it seems this is partially Windows related, so there may not be a specific solution. Clearly the problem isnt even happening for everyone, and for some, certain things fix it, but not for others.

Again, vote for the bug, report anything you can to help, like what you've said jungle, the bugzilla link is on page 6 here.

Dodging the problem: Firefox 1.5 beta, and Linkification extension.
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

For those considering 1.5 Beta as a temporary fix. Create a new profile. Do not use your 1.0.7 profile with 1.5. While 1.5 can adapt the 1.0.7 profile fairly easily, Fx 1.0.7 can't use a profile that's been used by 1.5.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

I'm running 1.4.1 and 1.0.7 and I exchange Profiles often and I've never had that problem. But I have heard of others having that problem.
Also
Install 1.5 into a new and empty folder and rename it 1.5 on the desktop or wherever you put your shortcut. This gives you the option to use either 1.5 or 1.0.7 at will.
Candy (unlogged)

Post by Candy (unlogged) »

People, it's very important that those who are willing to uninstall their extensions to see if the problem fixes, try the Standard Diagnostic first. Because we dont know if the uninstalling of the extensions or whatever other little thing you did in the process are responsible of the fix. If you run the standard diagnostic step by step, then you'll know for sure in which moment your bug dissapears, for us (and developers) to know.

Please, do run the diagnostic before trying to do things your way.
Candy (unlogged)

Post by Candy (unlogged) »

Good (?) news: an editor at Bugzilla changed this bug's priority from major to critical. That's the highest rank before blocker.