Connection reset by peer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rck

Connection reset by peer

Post by rck »

Hi! I'm experiencing a strange problem on my Windows XP Pro installation on my notebook. My Firefox 1.0.7 gives me "Beim Versuch, this.and.that.com zu kontaktieren, wurde die Verbindung zurückgesetzt" (roughly translated: "connection reset by peer"), no matter which site or URL I try to access. This happens since about 2 weeks ago, it worked flawlessly before. So does Internet Explorer 6 still.

My standalone-PC with Windows XP on it doesn't have that problem, neither my Linux machine. Both are running FireFox as well, the Windows XP machine also IE 5 / 5.5 / 6 (I do testing) and the Linux machine also Konqueror. All without any problems. Even my iMac, also connected via WLAN like my notebook, works with Safari, IE/Mac and Firefox, all three set up the same way.

I've already uninstalled Firefox on my notebook and tried reinstalling -- no success, same error. There's no proxy set up in any of my browsers, I wouldn't know how to set one up either.

thanks for any help!
René C. Kiesler :: kiesler.at
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Uninstalling/reinstalling the program has no effect on your "profile" where all your personal data are stored.

Perhaps the profile got corrupted somehow? Try using a new one and see if that works.
rck

Post by rck »

Thanks! How would I do that?

Post by Guest »

exit firefox and start>run firefox -p
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

If you're talking about Google, www.google.com/ncr should get you back to English.
rck

Post by rck »

Well, getting me to the profile screen with -p worked out. And I could delete my profile as well as create a new one. But what happened next is kind of creepy.

I got a dialog-box. It was empty, except "Ok" and "Cancel". I clicked ok. It happened again. I clicked ok again. I got a bare-bone Firefox. So far so good.

But: Still the same error. "Beim Versuch...".

Actually, I seem to have installed the german version of Firefox (I have the english one everywhere else). But that's not too big of a problem as I'm from Austria and my native tongue is german anyway. The problem is that I cannot access any URL at all with that particular Firefox. Even after creating a new profile. :-(