Firefox corrupted when Wizz RSS 2.0.0 updated itself

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ultraman SFO

Firefox corrupted when Wizz RSS 2.0.0 updated itself

Post by Ultraman SFO »

Yesterday I did an update of Firefox and it installed an update of Wizz RSS 2.0.0. Now, none of the menu items work (either with mouse or with keystrokes), you cannot enter a URL in the browser...basically Firefox only opens and closes, that's it. Is anyone else having this problem? How can I manually remove this extension?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Use the safe mode menu item (from Start -> Programs ... ) (if Windows). Then disable/uninstall the extension.
After uninstall and correct start of FF you can possibly reinstall the extension.

Post by Guest »

The same thing happened to me. I started in safe mode and uninstalled Wizz RSS. Starting Firefox back up allowed me to access the menus, browse, etc., but a blank sidebar is open and will not close. Also, my bookmarks reset to a blank bookmarks file. This is so frustrating when one rogue extension causes everything to get corrupted.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Guest, try one of these http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)

See if it helps
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Mike Dodds

Automatic Wizz extension download corrupts Firefox

Post by Mike Dodds »

RE: Wizz update. I too get the Wizz home page which is frozen. The 'safe' mode opens Firefox but the extensions window is greyed out and therefore unable to unistall Wizz. Clearly this automatic download has corrupted Firefox and apart from unistalling and reinstalling the whole works I can't see a way round this one. Come on Firefox let's have some answers here.

Mike
trolly

Post by trolly »

Find the extensions.rdf file and delete it.
This should force FF to rebuild the extension list.
It's in your profile folder.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Mike Dodds, for future reference, you should be able to uninstall in Safe Mode even if the extensions window is grayed out, by right clicking on the extension.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Mike Dodds

Post by Mike Dodds »

Thanks for all views on this. Deleting the extensions .rdf in the profile folder did the trick and will now find another news reader.

Mike
zoomis

Post by zoomis »

I'm having the same issues.

WinXP
Firefox 1.07

I've deleted the extensions.rdf files. When I try to open Firefox, I will not load. The cursor blinks continuously...I've looked in processes to see if it's open - it looks like it tries to open, then closes, over and over. It's not open long enough to select and click "End process".

Any suggesions?

-Monty

Post by Guest »

Oh, deleting extensions.rdf will corrupt your profile in 1.0.7
Open FF with the profile manager. Start -> Run -> Type firefox -p and press OK.)
trolly

Post by trolly »

:oops:
The last one was from me.
Deleting extensions.rdf does only work in 1.5 not 1.0.7
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
zoomis

Post by zoomis »

Okay. I uninstalled/reinstalled FF 1.0.7 and my profile seems to be back. However, I still have the empty sidebar and the browser will not navigate (bookmarks are listed, but it won't go the site selected). I can't find any reference to Wizz RSS on my system and the extension is not listed (I uninstalled it previously - but not in safe mode).

Are there any other options?

-Monty
trolly

Post by trolly »

Your prfile is pobably still defective. Try to create a new profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Here some hints to move your important data:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
Mikek123

Post by Mikek123 »

Firstly, perhaps I should explain that these problems are not caused by bugs in the extension. The freezing on upgrade from 1.1.3 to 2.0.n is caused by Bugzilla ID 275148 and the sidebar problem is caused by Bugzilla ID 249883.

To recover from the freezing problem, press Ctrl+N. This should open a new, functioning, Firefox window. From the new window you can uninstall the extension and on restarting Firefox, all should be back to normal.

To recover from the empty sidebar problem, reinstall the extension, close the sidebar and then uninstall the extension.

Post by Guest »

my firefox checks the SAVE FORM INFORMATION option each time i open the browser no matter how many times i uncheck it
any idea how to repair this