Unstable and I'm disappointed in FB 7

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
acanton

Unstable and I'm disappointed in FB 7

Post by acanton »

FB 5 was terrific. The 7 with GTK+ on my Slackware 9.1 machine is not.

For no reason at all, FB just decides to vanish when I click something (a link, a menu etc.). The process is still running and I have to kill it. If I start it up, I find that I can't enter an address in the location bar. The only thing that brings it back to normal is if I copy/paste a saved copy of the .phoenix folder from /temp to my home directory and over-write the one that is there.

FB is fast and when it works it works great. But I feel that the 7 is not nearly as stable as the 5 was. I guess it's back to Galeon until the next release of FB... unless someone has some ideas (yes, I've re-installed about five times!!) If it won't run on Slack, probably the most stable Linux flavor out there (along with Deb) then there must be something wrong with it somewhere. I'd understand if I were running a kernel kludge like Mandrake or RH... but not Slack.

Al
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

Sorry you're having problems. Firebird can behave erratically if old settings and binaries are left lying around. Do things improve if you delete the profile directory altogether?
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

You need to use a clean profile with an upgrade of that proportion.

Post by Guest »

I know about "cleaning up." THAT is the real screwy thing. This is a brand new 3-week old box with a brand new install of Slackware 9.1.... and the only version of FB that has ever been on this box is .7.

When it first went "haywire" I re-installed... and deleted the entire .phoenix folder. I did this a few times. I found that if I just kept a "good" version of the folder somewhere and when FB went "unstable" that if I wiped out the old .phoenix and popped in the new one, it went back to being stable. Go figure.

My guess ('cause I'm a rocket scientist!)is there is something getting corrupted in the folder.... but I have no idea what... or where.

The other theory is that I installed the version for the newest GTK and the MKF (or something like that) since Slack supports the new font handling whatever it is... and that this version screws up something in the phoenix folder? Maybe I should download and install the non-bleeding edge version?

Any ideas?

Al