Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AllenR

Unresponsive script error

Post by AllenR »

I keep getting this message on pages at times.

<i>A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or continue to see if the script will complete</i>

Is there anyway to set it so that it automatically chooses to stop or continue? It's really getting annoying cause it pops up so freaking much when I'm trying to do something.
-Allen
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

type about:config in the URLbar and hit Enter

Filter= dom.max_script_run_time default is 5

Right-click and select Modify - you might want to try 10

You will need to close Firefox and restart for that preference to change in pref.js .

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
AllenR

Post by AllenR »

Well, I've had it set for a while and it's still constantly giving me the message. This usually happens when uploading a file somewhere (imageshack, gmail, etc). And it's really annoying cause it's popping up like 10 times before it lets the file go through.
-Allen

Post by Guest »

Read this link Unresponsive Script???. There are a few options for you to try.

Post by Guest »

http://www.tvbs.com.tw/NEWS/NEWS_LIST.a ... 0302133924

try this website to test the unresponsive script.
I try to set it to 10, 20 or 25. It still does the same thing. Problem can not be fixed.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

The above link did not produce an "unresponsive script" for me. However since I don't read whatever Oriental language the site is in I didn't try clicking on any links.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

After clicking around I haven't gotten any errors so, what I am thinking is it might be a script for an ad and Adblock is blocking it and that's why I'm not seeing the error. That would figure if the script is calling a remote object like an image or a shockwave file that isn't available.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Anyone having this problem:
Try "Firefox Safe Mode". If the problem goes away, disable your extensions, one by one.

Checking the list of problematic extensions I see that the "unresponsive script" error can occur if the Google Toolbar is installed.
Alice Wyman
Mike111

error still occuring

Post by Mike111 »

I am still having this problem after setting the number to 20+, none have really worked. My extentions are adblock, all in one sidebar, duplicate tab, fasterfox (ive disabled it and the error still comes up), flashgot,ie tab,linkification,sage,tabmixplus,tabx, stumbleupon(disabled),nuke anything enhanced(disabled). This error is really annoying when im on sportsline fantasy baseball(live scoring), since this error pops up once every couple of minutes. Can anyone help?
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

You can set them to run for an unlimited time by setting it to 0, but that may cause your broswer to slow down. Disable the rest of your extensions one by one until you find the one that is causing this.
"It burns like hygiene!"
Hardball Lover

Re: error still occuring

Post by Hardball Lover »

Mike111 wrote:I am still having this problem after setting the number to 20+, none have really worked. My extentions are adblock, all in one sidebar, duplicate tab, fasterfox (ive disabled it and the error still comes up), flashgot,ie tab,linkification,sage,tabmixplus,tabx, stumbleupon(disabled),nuke anything enhanced(disabled). This error is really annoying when im on sportsline fantasy baseball(live scoring), since this error pops up once every couple of minutes. Can anyone help?

I searched for an answer to this problem b/c I was experiencing the very same Sportsline frustration!

Found an answer (on my own).

Try this:
Disable AdBlock
Reload the live scoring page @ CBS
CTRL+Shift+F
Right-click on the Flash Blcok where the top banner ad was
Somewhere in your AdBlock preferences you have that root link blocked.

I first tried White Listing the entire page and the error would still pop up. So it's not a setting just on that page; you've likely blocked it from some previous page. Choose to "Keep List Sorted" under AdBlock's Options and you can more easily seek out that ad.doubleclick.net link you've blocked.

Live scoring has been running flawlessly since I did this. :)
pablohosehead

Post by pablohosehead »

Anonymous wrote:I searched for an answer to this problem b/c I was experiencing the very same Sportsline frustration!

Found an answer (on my own).

Try this:
Disable AdBlock
Reload the live scoring page @ CBS
CTRL+Shift+F
Right-click on the Flash Blcok where the top banner ad was
Somewhere in your AdBlock preferences you have that root link blocked.

I first tried White Listing the entire page and the error would still pop up. So it's not a setting just on that page; you've likely blocked it from some previous page. Choose to "Keep List Sorted" under AdBlock's Options and you can more easily seek out that ad.doubleclick.net link you've blocked.

Live scoring has been running flawlessly since I did this. :)
Okay, I'm having the same issue with Sportsline, but I'm not running AdBlock. Any suggestions?
Hardball Lover

Post by Hardball Lover »

Well, my "solution" apparently is anything but. That Unresponsive Script error is back. Even worse, when I disable AdBlock, the darned thing comes right back. It's totally unrelated to AdBlock!

Time to try the Firefox Safemode option and see if it's *some* extension.
Harball Lover

Post by Harball Lover »

Don't get it... first time I tried Safemode, it ran for 10 minutes w/o the error. So then I disabled my extensions, halving each time. Got down to zero extensions and still got the error. Then went to Safemode and *still* got the error!

Beginning to suspect alternative proggies like Google Talk, Zone Alarm or AVG may be the cause. Anyone who's getting the script error running any of these 3 programs, too?
Hardball Lover

uninstall?

Post by Hardball Lover »

Alice wrote:Anyone having this problem:
Try "Firefox Safe Mode". If the problem goes away, disable your extensions, one by one.

Checking the list of problematic extensions I see that the "unresponsive script" error can occur if the Google Toolbar is installed.

And how would one uninstall the Google toolbar? I can't find any such setting on the toolbar itself, in the Tools or View menus, under the Programs menu... I'd love to remove it and see. Anyone have a tip?

Thanks!