Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

i get this error.

Post by Guest »

I get the Warning: Unresponsive script error every time I open Firefox. The dom.max fix doesn't work at all for me. I have multiple user accounts set up on this computer and Firefox seems to open fine on every other user account but mine. I only get the error when I first open Firefox each time and it takes about 20-30 seconds to start up before the error pops up. If I click Continue it will bring the error box back up again endlessly. If I click End Script it will open up Firefox. It's not coming up because of any site because I have my homepage set as about:blank. This is really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. No cures I've seen anywhere work. Please help!
swarmofoctopii

Re: i get this error.

Post by swarmofoctopii »

Anonymous wrote:I get the Warning: Unresponsive script error every time I open Firefox. The dom.max fix doesn't work at all for me. I have multiple user accounts set up on this computer and Firefox seems to open fine on every other user account but mine. I only get the error when I first open Firefox each time and it takes about 20-30 seconds to start up before the error pops up. If I click Continue it will bring the error box back up again endlessly. If I click End Script it will open up Firefox. It's not coming up because of any site because I have my homepage set as about:blank. This is really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. No cures I've seen anywhere work. Please help!

sorry i forgot to login. also... the only add-ons i have right now are adblocker and this veoh browser plug-in i can't seem to uninstall. and neither of them is as old as this problem. this has been going on for as long as i can remember and i'm just tired of waiting that 20-30 seconds before firefox opens.
schapel

Re: i get this error.

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:No cures I've seen anywhere work. Please help!

Which cures did you try? Did you try the suggestions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning
Last edited by schapel on August 14th, 2007, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
swarmofoctopii

Post by swarmofoctopii »

i seem to have tried all of those. all the problems i've seen people having seem to be coming from specific websites they are looking at. that isn't my problem. i don't get the error when i'm using firefox at all. except at the very beginning when i first start it up. but it happens every single time. so it doesn't log into the error console because its not on an actual website to log. its before i've even used firefox to do anything.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Does that happen in the Firefox SafeMode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
swarmofoctopii

Post by swarmofoctopii »

yes. i just tried it in safe mode and it happened. i think its a hopeless problem at this point. nothing seems to be working.
schapel

Post by schapel »

breezy55417

Post by breezy55417 »

I've often wondered why the notification for a unresponsive script doesn't indicate which page, site, tab or window the warning is from. If it did, .you could choose to close or navigate away from the problem
Windows XPhome MCE Pro SP3 w/ updates current, FF (latest stable) with a lot of extensions,Thunderbird Updated, and an Eclectus Parrot named "Woodrow"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It can be caused by a script that is running in an extension.
That timeout delay can be an indication: for website JavaScript code the timeout is 10 seconds and for chrome code (extensions) the timeout is 20 seconds.
swarmofoctopii

Post by swarmofoctopii »

schapel wrote:Try creating a new profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manag ... ew_profile

hallelujah, dude! this actually worked for me. and after a few minutes of (semi)painfully transferring everything over to the new profile i'm back to loving firefox %100. thanks!
schapel

Post by schapel »

Great! I've added the suggestion of creating a new profile to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning
Kab

Post by Kab »

Only adding a "yup" that I experienced this problem once again, quite randomly 8-9 times in the last week, and creating a new profile is the only instruction that helped alleviate.

For curios quests, I tried to copy all my previous profile over to another PC with the same Firefox installation (different hardware but similar software installations) and it didn't produce the same error at all (hasn't so far in a week yet anyway). Any idea of a possible explanation?

Thanks.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If it is not caused by your profile then that would indicate that the problem is caused by other (security) software.
Does the other computer have the same firewall and anti-virus software?
Kab

Post by Kab »

Yes it has the same software in all ways, especially security (very minor differences, being just the IM and video editing software installed). Both are actually the same corporate HDD backup using an OEM VLK OS [Windows XP Professional SP2]. The first "affected" HDD is at around 50% fitness (large reallocated sector count) so that's why I switched to using the second one (a backup) at home, where I found this discrepancy.

All Firefox settings and installations are exactly the same as far as I can see (without checking coding or file differences).

One weird happening is this: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 Mnenhy/0.7.4.666 - Build ID: 2007072518

Would you know any reason as to why Mnenhy listed there while it's been uninstalled for a very long time? (more than 7 months IIRC)

BTW, I know of all the recent board happenings of which I'm glad to not have taken part in, as well as the server problems and search changes, but of note would be two errors others are reporting around online that I'm also experiencing:

#1: No email notifications for threads where they existed before on mozillaZine.
#2: A "server down" error is appearing very frequently on this forum since 3 days now (as far as I've experienced).

Thanks.
Kab

Post by Kab »

Just an update:

I've received your last reply email notification just now (I have no network connectivity problems).