Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
schapel

Post by schapel »

As I note in the bug report, I cannot reproduce the bug. I notice that the <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions">Google Toolbar extension can cause the "unresponsive" dialog to appear</a>. Do you have that extension installed?
blogonaut

Continued problem

Post by blogonaut »

Followed suggestions as far as:

-- Changed dom.max_script_run_time to 10 as suggested.
-- Took out IE Tab b/c it was listed as problematic extension (in an article dating way back). Might replace with IE View instead.
-- Took out the official Google Toolbar as it´s also listed; might try the unofficial one instead.
-- Changed Fasterfox from Turbo to Optimized.

Thought I had solved it since blogger page seemed to work better. Left the computer for a couple of hours with only MozillaZine open and guess what, another unresponding script message is displayed.

Can someone please tell me what is going on? Most appreciated.
schapel

Re: Continued problem

Post by schapel »

blogonaut wrote:Can someone please tell me what is going on? Most appreciated.

Do you still have other extensions installed? It could be one of them causing the problem. You also can try looking in some of the <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=unresponsive+script&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&resolution=---&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time">bug reports about "unresponsive script" problems</a> and see if you can figure out what the problem is.
blogonaut

Post by blogonaut »

Schapel, thanks for the links. Yes, I do have other extension installed but I tried a new user profile without extensions earlier on and I still had the problem.

Post by Guest »

i'm having the same problem with that script
and i don't use google talk zone alarm or AVG...
blogonaut

Post by blogonaut »

Unfortunately, the bug reports didn´t take me any further either...
Tweek.butters

Post by Tweek.butters »

Arrgghhh. I have that same darn "unresponsive script" pop-up window, too. Firefox was working just fine until I installed the bit torrent extension.... Now that cursed pop-up has practically become my home page. Should I just say "hang it all" and remove the extension? :( Any suggestions? (beside the obvious)

Post by Guest »

Harball Lover wrote:Don't get it... first time I tried Safemode, it ran for 10 minutes w/o the error. So then I disabled my extensions, halving each time. Got down to zero extensions and still got the error. Then went to Safemode and *still* got the error!

Beginning to suspect alternative proggies like Google Talk, Zone Alarm or AVG may be the cause. Anyone who's getting the script error running any of these 3 programs, too?

Ive been having the same problem on CBS sportsline but cant seem to find the solution...i dont have any adblock conflicts or extensions
Alice

Post by Alice »

(For the record) I see that the Problematic extensions article now lists TWO extensions that can cause an "unresponsive script" error:
Google Toolbar (already mentioned)
and
SessionSaver
....the article suggests downleveling to version 0.2d as a workaround and gives this bugzilla reference:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=336602
Uploading file triggers "unresponsive script" message when there's no script
indisch

Post by indisch »

Hello everyone! I've just joined today. I must confess it is a great forum. I've been using FF and this only, well I don't remember for how long, and its the champion all the way.

I get unresponsive script error message quite often, it I believe is one or more of the extensions I have installed that become unresponsive. However, is there any way we can find out which one is unresponsive?
Alice

Post by Alice »

indisch,

See Step 5 of the Standard diagnostic - Firefox

Post by Guest »

the-edmeister wrote:type about:config in the URLbar and hit Enter

Filter= dom.max_script_run_time default is 5

Right-click and select Modify - you might want to try 10

You will need to close Firefox and restart for that preference to change in pref.js .

Ed
Guest616

Unresponsive script & NoScript (& other ext. like Ad

Post by Guest616 »

After encountering many "Unresponsive Script" dialog windows, I grudgingly disabled NoScript while still using Google Toobar. So far, no problems but it practically renders extensions like NoScript and AdBlock useless.

If you block any unwanted script, FF interprets this as an "unresponsive" script and ultimately if you used multiple tabs, FF freezes until it reports that an "unresponsive script" has been encountered.

Even though lengthening the time for scripts to load under "about:config" might help nominally, I agree with Mikieboyblue's post regarding this "feature" in FF (1.5.0.7). It would behoove FF to remove this "feature" altogether and package NoScript or AdBlock within FF. I have not experienced any problems with Google Toolbar but it doesn't make sense to uninstall, possibly one of the most popular apps/extensions, because of this "feature".

Although these extensions are not necessarily supported by Mozilla, several productivity extensions (like NoScript & AdBlock) to block unwanted scripts placed in many commercial websites are undermined by this FF "feature". What is the benefit gained anyways? The workaround by lengthening the response time MIGHT work, but if a script is unresponsive, the browser and other tabs should not be unaccessible because FF is waiting. Let the rest of the page load and if it doesn't load, let it be. The worst thing that can happen is the script doesn't load. Remember that extensions like NoScript is for security. Now I have to disable NoScript or use IE to access a site that may have a hacked/mal script.

The only other "solution" would be for the web to limit the use of embedded scripts ;-) . Most commercial sites have tons of scripts embedded from other sites (which I don't want to waste rendering in my browser) and the likelihood of minimalist scripts in web pages is as unlikely as this post being pithy.

In a major distribution, this "feature" can be a dealbreaker (i.e. make a lot of people unhappy). This feature should be an OPTIONAL (i.e. not default) feature for web developers.

I've tried to see if anyone posted a solution besides those posted in the thread and I haven't found anything yet. Has there been any official stance by Mozilla on addressing this very annoying but very real problem?
schapel

Re: Unresponsive script & NoScript (& other ext. lik

Post by schapel »

Guest616 wrote:Has there been any official stance by Mozilla on addressing this very annoying but very real problem?

<a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=348420#c1">Yes</a>. Bugs in extensions should be reported to the author of the extension. If the author of the extension finds that there's a problem in Firefox that causes the extension not to behave properly, let the extension author report the problem, as they have the details that the developers would need to solve the problem.
Alice

Post by Alice »

For the record, the person who filed the above bug report later reported the issue to the extension author via bugzilla.mozdev.org. See
http://bugzilla.mozdev.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14910 for the details.