Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
euskir

Post by euskir »

dickvl wrote:It needn't be the site that causes the problem.
It could also be caused by an extension.
There are two timeouts:
dom.max_script_run_time
dom.max_chrome_script_run_time

In my experience that fix didn't work, for me at least.
easye

Post by easye »

I was having the same problem and for me it ended up being a problem with an upgrade to an extension. In my case, it was an extension called "Colorful Tabs". BTW, I have Adblock and NoScript installed and they seem to be working fine and not causing this problem.
euskir

Post by euskir »

I made a check, at the moment of the issue, with a fresh installation, no extensions, and the problem was still there.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Maybe a new profile would help.
euskir

Post by euskir »

"a fresh installation"...including a new profile, everything went to the trash before, preferences, profile, all.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Hmmm... I and many others never see the problem. Any ideas about how we could make it happen so we could write a bug report?
euskir

Post by euskir »

For me it's weird because the only problem was with Blogger, with all the Mozilla browsers, beta and final releases, and suddenly no more problems.
But in my case, well, could be more an issue with the website response to some browsers, even when Firefox it's the choice from Blogger to work with Mac OS X.
wgmeisheid

Try using the Error Console

Post by wgmeisheid »

I have a right-click problem with the unresponsive script so I launched the Error Console and told it to stop the script. The EC showed my problem was with Amazon's A9 Toolbar. Deleted the toolbar extension and the problem went away.

The EC may show you were your problem is so you can isolate it and deal with it.
schapel

Post by schapel »

I've created a new <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Error">MozillaZine Knowledge Base article on the unresponsive script error</a>. Thanks to all who contributed useful information for me to use. Let me know if you see anything that could be improved about the article.
Klemen

Gmail

Post by Klemen »

I am getting this "Unresponsive Script" everytime I click the Reply button in my Gmail account. The problem came to surface several days ago since I have installed the new Firefox 2.0. I have tried this

<b>type about:config in the URLbar and hit Enter
Filter= dom.max_script_run_time default is 5
Right-click and select Modify - you might want to try 10</b>
[I tried with 20 instead of 10, but it did not help]

Anyone else with similar problem?
schapel

Post by schapel »

Yeah. Did you read the article I wrote about the problem (see above)?
Klemen

Post by Klemen »

You mean If you get the Unresponsive Script Error on a specific web page, it could be a problem with the JavaScript on the web page. You may want to contact the webmaster of the site to inform them of the problem, or you may wish to file a Tech Evangelism bug report.?
Yes, I did read. The problem is that I don't know what to write. I have read the instructions here
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-ev ... l#file-new, but I am afraid schapel I am not exactly a computer wizard or any sort of expert. I still swear on the good old method of a "hammer" and a "chizzle", if you know what I mean. He He!

I guess right now the only good solution for me is probably to delete Firefox 2.0 and go back to Firefox 1.5, eh?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

There is always the possiblity that it it caused by an extension.
In that case probalby the max_chrome_script_run_time pref applies.
If both timings are different then you can determine by the time it takes for the popup to appear if that is the case.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Yeah, the problems with extensions are also in the article.

If the problem is that you don't know what to write, please let us know that, and tell us the URL that demonstrates the problem.
euskir

Post by euskir »

Klemen wrote:You mean If you get the Unresponsive Script Error on a specific web page, it could be a problem with the JavaScript on the web page. You may want to contact the webmaster of the site to inform them of the problem, or you may wish to file a Tech Evangelism bug report.?
Yes, I did read. The problem is that I don't know what to write. I have read the instructions here
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-ev ... l#file-new, but I am afraid schapel I am not exactly a computer wizard or any sort of expert. I still swear on the good old method of a "hammer" and a "chizzle", if you know what I mean. He He!

I guess right now the only good solution for me is probably to delete Firefox 2.0 and go back to Firefox 1.5, eh?

If the problem it's only with Gmail you can go to Gmail: Help Center here

http://mail.google.com/support/?ctx=%67mail&hl=en

or Gmail Help Discussions at Google Groups here

http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion

And if you can't find any clue, well, you can always use the "Contact Us" option at the bottom of the page.
My experience with Blogger (also a Google service) it's that suddenly the "unresponsive error" dissapeared, such in the same strange way as it appeared, and all was in sync with the new Blogger Beta, by the way, Gmail it's still a beta service too.