Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Joe Random User

Re: Yeah, but...

Post by Joe Random User »

(I feel like Columbo, keep thinking of "one more thing...")

Note that in the stale-cookie scenario above, whacking the cookies *IS* a permanent fix, too...
schapel

Re: Yeah, but...

Post by schapel »

Joe Random User wrote:My point was that it still seems worth listing as a solution, since the site MAY not respond, and in the meantime, the user needs to get things done in the meantime. And the KB page *doesn't* suggest clearing the cookies, which isn't an obvious answer in any case, so I'd suggest it should.

The problem with listing workarounds for site problems is that users get used to performing the workaround, never complain to the site, and complain about this and that Firefox "bug" that the developers will not acknowledge or fix. I still see people wondering when Firefox will fix the unresponsive script bug, even though I cannot see that anyone has pointed out any such bug in Firefox. It's sites and extensions that cause the problems. Some people may see that as an excuse, but as always, they are welcome to point out the bug in Firefox...
PerivaleElvis

Unresponsive script

Post by PerivaleElvis »

I found that the way to fix this is to disable each Add-on until you find the one causing the problem.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Then let us know which add-on was causing the problem so we can add it to the list of <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions">problematic extensions</a>.

Unresponsive Script on startup

Post by Guest »

Like many users here I'm also getting an "Unresponsive Script" error when I first start firefox. I've turned off all my add-ons and still get the error. I understand the hang isn't necessarily firefox's "fault", however as indicated by the level of frustration, there is clearly a problem in the usability of this feature. It should clearly indicate the script or add-on that caused the problem, so that the user can easily know what the issue is. Considering how well Firefox does this for HTTP errors, it's odd that it doesn't here.
schapel

Post by schapel »

MadAsHell

Unresponsive Script Error

Post by MadAsHell »

Firefox versions below 2.0 were good. After 2.0, they are crap. I have switched back to IE and will stay there until Firefox's authors decide to fix this problem, instead of dumping the work upon the users.

It's obvious they made an error somewhere, but don't seem to want to address the issue and it just gets worse. So Firefox, you've lost another user.
schapel

Post by schapel »

There is no problem in Firefox 2 that causes the unresponsive script warning that I've been able to find. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to what this problem is, or you can try the suggestions at the link I give above.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

would this enhancement help identify causes?
Bug 257646 – improve JS unresponsive script dialog - log the warning in the JS Console, with URL
Thunderbird trunk (generally).
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
schapel

Post by schapel »

It would help identify <i>websites</i> that have a problem of having a script that runs too long. That's what the unresponsive script warning is for.

Are people thinking that this feature is a bug in Firefox? The problem is that some websites have scripts that run for a long time. This can cause Firefox to use excessive CPU and slow down your entire system, although through no fault of its own. To help you, Firefox identifies websites that have this problem and gives you the option to stop the script to prevent the excessive CPU usage. If you do not like the feature, simply set dom.max_script_run_time to a very high number, although as the page I list above explains, this defeats the purpose.

Does this explain the "problem" once and for all?
soonerthunderbird

Post by soonerthunderbird »

Its not Firefox I am having the issue with, its Thunderbird.
Each time I start T-Bird I get the "Unresponsiv Script" Warning.

Any ideas on T-bird?
Robert J Williams
schapel

Post by schapel »

Why not ask in the Thunderbird forum?
dismrwonderful

Post by dismrwonderful »

I tried just about everything without success. Then I happened to click on Firefox Tools, Java Console, and then I clicked on the clear button at the bottom of the window. This solved the problem for me.

Dan
Leopardclaw

Re: Unresponsive script error

Post by Leopardclaw »

:-" I am very unhappy with this error. Some Java thingamabob. So I uninstalled it and got Netscape Navigator 9. :mrgreen: It is based on Firefox 2, meaning it is compatible with most add-ons. Unfortunately, it is old and support is gone so I am not sure if I should keeeeeeeeeep it. I suspected a long time ago that maybe Google Chrome (I installed it) is interfering. Now I think it is one of my add-ons. :? :cry:
saniya

Re: Unresponsive script error

Post by saniya »

Actually few months ago i have learnt this scripting so i wrote the so much scripting so when i checked out it so lot of errors and warnings.so tell me the solutions of this u can see this..
http://www.forexjp.com