doesnt work in XP?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jbm1x

doesnt work in XP?

Post by jbm1x »

I had Win98 SE on my computer and firebird worked just fine. I recently upgraded to WinXP and now Firebird won't work. It doesn't give an error message or anything, I double click it and nothing happens. Well, Zone Alarm asks if firebird has permission to access the internet, and I click yes, but it doesn't even load. I tried changing compatibility mode to Win98, and I tried reinstalling Firebird, but it's not even really an install it's just recopying the files.

Any ideas?
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Have you tried making a new profile with "MozillaFirebird.exe -p"? Just a wild guess. You can post again if it doesn't work.
I'm weird, damn
jbm1x

Post by jbm1x »

the profile manager works and it lets me create a new one but even after that the browser still doesnt load

Re: doesnt work in XP?

Post by Guest »

jbm1x wrote:I had Win98 SE on my computer and firebird worked just fine. I recently upgraded to WinXP and now Firebird won't work.

The Win9x -> XP upgrade leaves a lot of things out. The method of handling user-specific configurations has changed completely between the two versions (10 years apart!) and they didn't bother trying to find and fix all things for all applications.

Your old profiles are probably in C:\Windows\Profiles\username and now it's all in C:\Documents and Settings\Application Settings\username ... You have to copy these things over manually.

To be honest -- having done exactly that -- it would have been eaiser to just copy the preferences file and the bookmarks and reinstall everything else from scratch. I would recommend that.