Firebird 0.7 on Linux can't render lsquo in some encodings

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Firebird 0.7 on Linux can't render lsquo in some encodings

Post by Guest »

Hi. I'm running Firebird 0.7 on i386 Linux. I have Times New Roman installed.

The default setting for font.name.serif.x-western is adobe-times-iso8859-1. In this setting, ‘ shows up as a left single quote. If I change the setting to monotype-times new roman-iso8599-1, the lsquo shows up as a box. (My test HTML file contains the 6-character ASCII sequence "‘" so it's not a problem of the browser misidentifying the file's encoding.) This is inconsistent, but not too surprising, since ISO-8859-1 doesn't have the lsquo character. So I change my font.name.serif.x-western setting to monotype-times new roman-iso10646-1, and the lsquo displays correctly again. (ISO-10646-1 is Unicode.)

Now I make a file containing:

Code: Select all

<font face="times new roman">&lsquo;</font>
Firebird draws a box again. Why won't it display the quote character instead? (Strangely, it's only a problem with lsquo. The other quote marks rsquo, ldquo, and rdquo render correctly.)

One last thing: if I change the file to say:

Code: Select all

<font face="times new roman-iso10646">&lsquo;</font>
Then the quote character correctly appears again. But no one writes HTML which includes the encoding in the font name.

So, my problem seems to be that, if I specify a font face of Times New Roman, Firebird automatically picks the ISO-8859-1 font encoding for lsquo (and only for lsquo). How can I make it realize that lsquo is a Unicode character, and pick the Unicode font encoding instead (like it does for all the other Unicode characters?)

Thanks,
David