Windows media player showing up as classic ver.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: Windows media player showing up as classic ver.

Post by Guest »

Sordid wrote:Hi all, Im new here :D.

Erm, I did search the forums, but I couldnt find an answer to my problem, but apologies if this has already cropped up before.

Im using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and Windows Media Player 10, and yet when I go to view embedded wmv videos the 'skin' is the classic one (see picture). I prefered the functionality of the new one, and I just cant work out why I've lost it! I tried the WMP9 registery fix, but to no avail. Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

Post by Guest »

ttocsmij wrote:Having the exact same problem with my new H-P m7357c Media Center PC running Windows Media Edition XP SP2 and WMP10. WMP works fine (manual start or IE start) but if Firefox 1.5.0.3 tries to open WMP to play a video (eg, a cnn.com video link) one gets a screen saying that WMP 9 or 10 could not be found and that one must download and install WMP immediately. Well that only resulted in the error message quoted above as "Quote:". Tried uninstalling WMP (a tried and true solution to many of Microsoft's many woes) and re-installing via the Control Panel/Add'n'Remove Program/Add'n'Remove Windows Component utility but that had no effect on the problem either. The registry ShimInclusion List contains Firefox.exe. The "About WMP version" is 10.00.00.4019. Any more ideas anyone?

[ Update: WMP version in registry is 10.00.00.4332 !!! ]
[ ref. \HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\10.0\Registration\UDBVersion ]
ttocsmij

Post by ttocsmij »

<b>Alice</b>:
sorry, I was only responding to the "A More Recent Version ..." quote in your 21 APR 06 post. There are several common video links (like most of the CNN videos) that won't play in my WMP 10. In fact, CNN insists that no WMP is even detected. It has to be the code these folks are using to detect but what can I do besides complain (like CNN cares what I think)! ;-)
Alice

Post by Alice »

ttocsmij wrote:<b>Alice</b>:
sorry, I was only responding to the "A More Recent Version ..." quote in your 21 APR 06 post. There are several common video links (like most of the CNN videos) that won't play in my WMP 10. In fact, CNN insists that no WMP is even detected. It has to be the code these folks are using to detect but what can I do besides complain (like CNN cares what I think)! ;-)

CNN.com is known to cause problems, such as a "Plugin Warning" message saying that the version of WMP could not be determined. Hitting the "Continue to video" button gets past that and plays the video, although sometimes not. Seems to be hit and miss with CNN - do a forum search on "CNN video" and you will find posts like this:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 94#2216694
njibeltry

i am happy for you

Post by njibeltry »

i am realy happy for you and your music i warch at them and they looked interesting to me and i really like that you should keep on with that style and never give so producing more albums please you can contact me on mail=njibeltry@yahoocom
Anon-112

Thank you!

Post by Anon-112 »

this helped me so much. i spent an hour tryin to figure it out. ty ty alice's first coment helped. at first i thought.. adding FIREFOX.exe ? thats it!? cant be! but it worked! i wish i knew more about computers to figure this out on my own

Post by Guest »

Alice wrote:You shouldn't need to uninstall WMP 10 (see the link I gave earlier). I did a groups.google search and found a number of posts on that error,
A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already installed.
A more recent version of Windows Media Player is already running on your
computer. Setup cannot continue.
...for example, this one.

It might be helpful if you gave your specific version of Windows and WMP 10. I'm assuming that your system originally came with WMP8 or WMP9 but you later updated to WMP10?

For example, my WinXP Pro Sp1 system came with WMP8 which I updated to WMP10 in December 2004 by downloading and installing MP10Setup.exe. If I open C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and check the file properties of wmplayer.exe it shows version 10.0.0.3646, which hasn't changed since installing. If I open WMPlayer and go to "Help -> About Windows Media Player", it shows the current program version is 10.00.00.4019 (I have all current WMP10 Windows Updates installed).
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

I have beaten, flogged, and tinkered with this issue for a long time on Mozilla, Firefox, and SeaMonkey. I've tried all the fixes listed here, but I still hit instances where I get the old WMP 6.4 controls and media that won't play (usually due to a path error). After much searching I think I found the clue to why it still presents a problem, but I am not sure how to use the information to fix it.

My studies led me to discover that offending sites which show you the WMP 6.4 controls are somewhere along the line still calling on the old legacy controls, via the legacy CLSID. This apparently either leads to the legacy OCX control being used in systems still bearing the old version and control, or the legacy emulation being called on where newer versions of the control are the only ones used to satisfy the CLSID reference.

Now, if only there's someone who can pick up where I get lost in the pursuit of this issue with this clue I've found, I'd be really pleased.
lali99

Re: 39fve

Post by lali99 »

JPQZ wrote:If you already have windows media player 10 then I think you would have to uninstall it first.

Remove it through the control panel then reinstall windows media player 10 if that is what you want to do - in case some windows media player 10 file got corrupted.