How to scroll up & down page with keys?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Letterwoman

How to scroll up & down page with keys?

Post by Letterwoman »

I have Firefox 1.5.0.1 installed on a Mac computer and I can't scroll up and down a page with the arrow up/down keys without the screen moving all the way to the top or bottom of the page. Is there a way to make the page scroll up or down slowly by using the arrow keys or the Page Up/Page Down keys? I like the speed of Firefox, but having to use the scroll bar or Home/End key is driving me crazy. :crazyeyes: At least in Safari and Internet Explorer you could always use the arrow keys to scroll down slowly so that you can gradually read the whole page. I think I'm going to stick with Safari if I can't get this problem resolved. :(
Gordan2

Post by Gordan2 »

Works for me on Windows with 1.5.0.1- pagedown moves down a screenful, arrow up or down moves one line. Make sure that caret browsing is off (F7 key). Maybe you have an extension that is conflicting or an about:config setting?
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Gordan2 is correct with his "make sure that caret browsing is off":

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1962633
Letterwoman

Post by Letterwoman »

That did the trick. Thanks! I never would have know that. I looked in the online help section and couldn't find anything about that. Is it under any of the pull-down menus at the top of the screen?
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Our pleasure... :) Some background on carrot browsing:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Accessibility.browsewithcaret
diogenes86

Caret browsing

Post by diogenes86 »

5/15/2006 AHA! So this caret browsing is the culprit! This problem has been driving me bonkers (and I've just been using Fx for 3 days now), and, having just found this solution here after much poking around the various web sites, this did it! This needs to be documented much more conspicuously in places that new users will see right away or find it easily, like in the Help file or the FAQ's on Mozilla's site, or wherever it can be found very readily.
Craigar

It even burns the old timers

Post by Craigar »

Well do I feel dumb. I've been using Firefox since 1.0 on my Mac and love it. Just this week I was updated to the latest version automatically and it seemed that the cursor problem started with the update. But lo and behold, I did it! I now remember playing with the F keys and must have turned this crazy feature on. Now I finally got around to looking for an answer and here it was. I just love thise Forums. Thank you all who have posted here. F7 F7 F7 F7 F7 got it!
stephanie289362

omg i love you guys

Post by stephanie289362 »

i havent been able to scroll using my arrow keys for about a week now and it had me almost in tears last night, i hit f7 and it works fine again. thank you so much!
grahamco

scrolling with down key

Post by grahamco »

I bought a new laptop computer in July and it has driven me crazy not being able to scroll slowly through a web page to read it. Finally I found this forum and the answer! So simple! So I pressed F7 and - voila! problem solved! Thank you so much.
Musiman

Firefox 2 to scroll using arrowkey; not carret br. issue...

Post by Musiman »

Since Firefox 2, I have the weird symptom that I sometimes cannot scroll the page when I use my arrow keys or PgUp/PgDn keys.

This has nothing to do with the suggested caret browsing (I have that one disbabled). When I have a few instances of Firefox open on my Windows XP pc, and when I open up a new browser window and go to a site where one can scroll the page, I'm NOT able to do that by using the arrow keys. When I switch to a FF window where I CAN scroll using my arrow keys, and then switch back to the former window, then I'm suddenly able to scroll with the arrow keys!!!
And the problem was NOT caused by me not having the site focussed or that I didn't have the right frame focussed.

Re: Caret browsing

Post by Guest »

diogenes86 wrote:This needs to be documented much more conspicuously in places that new users will see right away or find it easily

Like, when you press F7 and Firefox tells you that you are about to enable caret browsing, explains its purpose, and gives you the choice to not enable it? By default the feature is disabled, and warns you every time you enable it until you tick the checkbox to "Don't show this dialog window on the future" (might be different on your language, i use the localized spanish version).
mike1911

change # of lines up/down arrows scroll?

Post by mike1911 »

Gordan2 wrote:Works for me on Windows with 1.5.0.1- pagedown moves down a screenful, arrow up or down moves one line. Make sure that caret browsing is off (F7 key). Maybe you have an extension that is conflicting or an about:config setting?

Is there a way to change the # of lines that scroll by when I press the up or down arrow in Firefox? I find moving just 1 line per press is too little. I'd prefer it to move 2 or 3 lines per keypress.

Many thanks in advance.
Teffy

Post by Teffy »

diogenes86 wrote:
This needs to be documented much more conspicuously in places that new users will see right away or find it easily

Guest replied:
Like, when you press F7 and Firefox tells you that you are about to enable caret browsing, explains its purpose, and gives you the choice to not enable it? By default the feature is disabled, and warns you every time you enable it until you tick the checkbox to "Don't show this dialog window on the future" (might be different on your language, i use the localized spanish version).

Teffy retorts:
Yes, the warning appears, but there is no mention of how it will affect the pageup and pagedown keys. I fell victim to it, too, and am very grateful to learn the cure!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can access the caret browsing setting in Tools > Options:
Tools > Options > Advanced : General: Accessibility: "Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages"
bl2ckorchid

Re: Firefox 2 to scroll using arrowkey; not carret br. issue

Post by bl2ckorchid »

Musiman wrote:Since Firefox 2, I have the weird symptom that I sometimes cannot scroll the page when I use my arrow keys or PgUp/PgDn keys.

This has nothing to do with the suggested caret browsing (I have that one disbabled). When I have a few instances of Firefox open on my Windows XP pc, and when I open up a new browser window and go to a site where one can scroll the page, I'm NOT able to do that by using the arrow keys. When I switch to a FF window where I CAN scroll using my arrow keys, and then switch back to the former window, then I'm suddenly able to scroll with the arrow keys!!!
And the problem was NOT caused by me not having the site focussed or that I didn't have the right frame focussed.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem as listed above by Musiman and it is really annoying. I thought it might be one of my add-ons so I disabled all of them to no avail. When I first start FF up I do not have this problem with any page. It's only after my computer has been on for a while and after it has been dormant (with windows screen saver running) that this occurs and it occurs on all sites and all tabs within my current window. It's frustrating, as I work within 5-13 tabs at any given time and to have to stop what I'm doing save it all just to get FF to work as it should is a nuisance.

When this occurs, my directional (arrow) keys no longer scroll and the "page up" and "page down" keys no longer work at all, unless I am within a text box. Additionally, any scrolling bar located on the side or bottom of the page or even those that are embedded within the page no longer work properly either. In order to scroll you must click and hold the scrolling bar and then drag it in which ever direction you wish to go. To elaborate, clicking on the arrows located at either end of the scroll bar nor on the empty space above or below the scroll bar is no longer effective.

I've also noticed that certain "buttons" stop working at this time. An example is if you wish to bookmark a site. When the "Add a Bookmark" box pops up and you wish to change the location of said bookmark you can no longer click on the expansion arrow to view the bookmarks tree. You can get around this by changing the location (to anything) using the "Create In" drop-down menu which then somehow reopens the ability to view the full tree/list of bookmark locations... but you shouldn't have to. The same seems to apply to the address bar's drop-down bar. I wanted to visit a site I had gone to within the same session but was not able to view my history using the bar.

I have found that restarting the computer, or at least Firefox, clears up these problems... until they happen again. This was tolerable at first but now it's just a big old pain in the ass.

Anyway - I hope someone can help and let me know what's up and I hope that once this is resolved it will help others experiencing the same or similar issues.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Symantha Meyers

PS. I will post this separately, but the spelling support within the FF software is horrendous! Laughable even. Language, dictionary, thesaurus and grammar support software should have the goal of making the art of editing easier, ACCURATE and intuitive. More and more, I have been finding the software currently integrated to be seriously lacking in it's most basic functions. But, like I said, I will post this elsewhere.