How to scroll up & down page with keys?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sarpevar

Post by Sarpevar »

In many cases, not scrolling with the keyboard is caused by the same lack of focus that causes the "find bar popping up" issue.
These issues are intermittent and do not affect all users. They sometimes are related to extensions or running windows tweak utilities like RBtray, virtual desktop manager. Usually, the developers cannot get the bug to show itself predictably on their machines, which means they cannot easily fix it. A bug that shows up on some machines but not others, and the only known way to get it is "use the browser for an hour" is almost impossible to fix.
Most cases are fixed by using tab browsing, doing all browsing in many tabs of one window and never opening a new window. Focus is usually lost in the "new window" opening process.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Find_bar_open ... in_textbox

In any case, the standard debugging suggestions of trying firefox safe mode, a new profile, and making sure no other programs or utilities are running and then trying to see the bug may help.

For me, the fix was switching to tab browsing use.
zylic

Post by zylic »

Sarpevar wrote:In many cases, not scrolling with the keyboard is caused by the same lack of focus that causes the "find bar popping up" issue.
These issues are intermittent and do not affect all users. They sometimes are related to extensions or running windows tweak utilities like RBtray, virtual desktop manager. Usually, the developers cannot get the bug to show itself predictably on their machines, which means they cannot easily fix it. A bug that shows up on some machines but not others, and the only known way to get it is "use the browser for an hour" is almost impossible to fix.
Most cases are fixed by using tab browsing, doing all browsing in many tabs of one window and never opening a new window. Focus is usually lost in the "new window" opening process.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Find_bar_open ... in_textbox

In any case, the standard debugging suggestions of trying firefox safe mode, a new profile, and making sure no other programs or utilities are running and then trying to see the bug may help.

For me, the fix was switching to tab browsing use.

The bug is obvious. If you use the default Firefox Start Page/Google as your home page, the cursor is placed in the search text box at start up. If you click elsewhere on that page and start surfing, all keys work normally so the error buried here.

I think there is another post in the forum or a bug filed that concludes with a patch to solve it.
fumble_fingers

Re: It even burns the old timers

Post by fumble_fingers »

Craigar wrote:Well do I feel dumb. I've been using Firefox since 1.0 on my Mac and love it. Just this week I was updated to the latest version automatically and it seemed that the cursor problem started with the update. But lo and behold, I did it! I now remember playing with the F keys and must have turned this crazy feature on. Now I finally got around to looking for an answer and here it was. I just love thise Forums. Thank you all who have posted here. F7 F7 F7 F7 F7 got it!

You think you feel dumb?! I've been using Firefox for a very long time and I've only just found the forum and found out about both the F7 and the tools>etc. fix.

And this should be publicized more for people. It was an extremely annoying "feature" for me.

Well, at least I've got the problem fixed now. Thanks to all for the help.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It is 'somewhere on the F1 Help window:

Code: Select all

Options: General tab
Accessibility

Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

When this option/preference is enabled, Firefox will display a
      movable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the
      keyboard.  You can toggle this mode by pressing F7.
adaora

Re: How to scroll up & down page with keys?

Post by adaora »

It is really frustrating...I use the scroll button on my laptop (the one near the touch-pad) to scroll up/down with other internet browsers but Firefox 4 :cry: :cry: