Destroyed Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mrk

Destroyed Bookmarks

Post by mrk »

Sweet. OS crashes once, after that all my 2 months worth of bookmarks are DESTROYED by Firebird. Can't find anything anywhere except that the default IE imported ones. Also the back-function sucks compared to Opera. What's the damn point of going back without actually using the cache? I REALLY don't want to resubmit the data on previous page I just want to go there FAST without loading ANYTHING at all. If I want to reload the page in my history I'll use reload or use links on the page to go there. I think that completely nullifies the point of back-button. That was also the reason I originally switched from IE to Opera. That's also now the reason I'm switching back to Opera from FB. Also I can't use a browser I can't trust my bookmarks with.
dewaun

bookmarks...

Post by dewaun »

Have you tried to download the latest nightly version?

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... d/nightly/

scroll down to the latest date for your Operating system.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.1.5, my bookmarks have been okay since the following build:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031202 Firebird/0.7+

Good luck...
DEWAUN SIMMONS

Current Firefox Build: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050904 Firefox/1.0+
Byzantine

Post by Byzantine »

I was a die-hard Opera fan, too. I tried Firebird and liked it more, but they have a few bookmark problems. If you right-click on a folder and pick "Open in a New Tab", or anything like that, you can't get into the folder again without closing the browser and reopening it.

And when I go to save a new bookmark, it takes quite a while to find the subfolder I want, since there's no collapsing tree view of the folders, that really bugs me, lol. I really wonder if any of the developers have 1600+ bookmarks like me, and keep adding new ones? If they did, they would realize how important it is to add new bookmarks fast without going down every line of folders, subfolders, sub-subfolders, etc. The only way I can find anything in there is to use lots and lots of nested folders. The ability to search in the bookmark folder for a specific bookmark is nice, but once I find it, it doesn't tell me which subfolder it's in.

As it is, I use a 3rd party bookmark organizer, by exporting out of Firebird, cleaning things up, then re-importing them every few weeks, and it's a hassle.

Everybody needs different things in a browser, depending on their ways of using it, but the bookmark things bug me a lot. The thing that bugs me the most is the way Firebird sucks up all my system memory, and can't even run 8-10 windows for simultaneous surfing. And the fact that it crashes multiple times a day. Seems like they ought to have a folder just for me at Talkback, mine crashes so often, lol.

I broke down the other day, and re-installed Opera on my system, but it's hard to go back. The things I liked more about Firebird are still here. I absolutely love the tabbrowser extensions, and the way you can tell javascript not to specific things, while still keeping it functional in the browser. I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to Opera *Sigh*.