MacOS X, firebird and file:/// URL's doesnt work properly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
EnterZ

MacOS X, firebird and file:/// URL's doesnt work properly

Post by EnterZ »

Hello,

Today I installed firebird on my iMac with OS X.
Browsing and such also works very great. I have one problem though ):
I have a web-application that needs to open files through file:/// URL's.
This is what I've done so far:

- On my Mac i made a SMB connection to a share on the network which is accessible in firebird by typeing 'file:///volumes/download/' in the addressbar.
- The rights on the share and such things are all correct.
- In firebird i created an association for .doc files to open them with MS Word for macintosh.
- file:///volumes/download/test.doc is a (valid) word file.
- I made a test.html file on a webserver with the following HTML syntax:
<A href="file:///volumes/download/test.doc">open file</a>

If i manually type 'file:///volumes/download/test.doc' in the addressbar of Firebird, it just opens the Word file, which is really great. However... If I open the test.html file on my webserver and i click on the link to open the file, nothing happens. It doesnt give an error, no warning.. it just gives nothing.

I already tried to dissable the popup blocker (cause FB might see the new link as a popup) but no result there.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated.

~EnterZ
Linux is like a wigwam, no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

everybody always answers this question of firefox+samba with: mozex. i'm having this problem also and have mozex but dont seem to get it work. any help is indeed appreciated.

someone blurted that setting the 'comma separated list...' to file and 'command with no args' to c:\windows\explorer.exe would do the trick in windoze but it doesn't work for me and prolly won't make you a bit happier beeing a maccie and all! ;)