Problem with IE still being launched

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

CarLBanks wrote:Darn it need to remove IE badly!

No you do not. You might find it usefull updating your system and for other services.

Check so that every protocol you like to be handled by Firebird is set to be handled by the browser.

Control Panel/Folder Options/Files

Also check

Start/Set Programs Access and Defaults

Finally - you just might find it easier to use the installer/setup for Firebird - at least for the first time to get all the registrykeys in there.
ImNotMe

Post by ImNotMe »

no, because XP depends on IE...
A problem, to be sure. Another monopolising attempt by MS, too.

But since both IE and FB are essentially free, where's the case?
Either way, the only way to ensure that the proper browser is loaded is to make sure the software loading the browser is looking for the default rather than IE. Mail.com don't seem to be looking for the default and MSN Messenger never does... It seems both programs would be useless without IE
scratch

Post by scratch »

XP does not depend on IE. Don't give in and believe that it is, that's letting Microsoft win. There is an IE remover program, but it's not free. After removing IE, XP still operates perfectly.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

scratch wrote:XP does not depend on IE. Don't give in and believe that it is, that's letting Microsoft win. There is an IE remover program, but it's not free. After removing IE, XP still operates perfectly.

And do not give him the impression that he does not need it or that he never will. He will have problems getting updates since Windows Update is more of a service than a homepage. He just might run into trouble with financial sites such as his own bank since some of them use IE-only solutions and there are sites out there that doe not give a rats ass about standards and if he would like to see, read or visit them he just might need IE. My advice is top keep IE, as a backup.
scratch

Post by scratch »

i use the automatic download updates, and my bank works with just about any browser. however, i am keeping IE around, simply because I'm a cheapskate and too lazy to buy it.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

scratch wrote:i use the automatic download updates, and my bank works with just about any browser. however, i am keeping IE around, simply because I'm a cheapskate and too lazy to buy it.

Great, I hope you can help him out then if he runs into trouble with his banks homepage. Perhaps pay his bills and so on? :-)
CarLBanks

Post by CarLBanks »

I installed using the installer.
CarLBanks

Post by CarLBanks »

I tried again, nothing works.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

CarLBanks wrote:I tried again, nothing works.

Follow the instructions:

1. Install
2. Check - Tools/Options/Set as default browser (in Firebird)
3. Check - Start/Set Access and defaults... (in Windows)
4. Check Control Panel/Folder Options/Files - make certain that all procotols that you would like to be handled by Firebird are set to do so.
CarLBanks

Post by CarLBanks »

Firebird isn't an option.
CarLBanks

Post by CarLBanks »

UPDATE: Mail.com has told me it launches on IE on purpose but it is being taken into condiseration.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

CarLBanks wrote:Firebird isn't an option.

Sorry, I do not know what you are talking about and I am out of ideas. This should be pretty straight forward and simple.
I have been bouncing bacvk and forward from Thunderbird/firebird and the Mozilla Suite for weeks now and have not yet managed not to get the default browser and the default mailprogram to work properly.
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

Dunderklumpen wrote:
CarLBanks wrote:I tried again, nothing works.

Follow the instructions:

1. Install
2. Check - Tools/Options/Set as default browser (in Firebird)
3. Check - Start/Set Access and defaults... (in Windows)
4. Check Control Panel/Folder Options/Files - make certain that all procotols that you would like to be handled by Firebird are set to do so.

I am also having a problem using FB as my default browser, I followed your steps and it still will not be my default browser. This is the error I get:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create and association in the Folder Options control panel"

and yes I did verify that all the extensions that I want to open with FB was registered in the file types area.

Any thoughts?