Problem using yahoo in firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

I have experienced FF 1.5.0.1 crashes while access Yahoo Mail until I disabled all but MR Tech Local Install and Greasemonkey extensions.

My list of suspect extensions include Adblock Plus, Fasterfox, and NoScript.

Post by Guest »

I have just recently started having problem with yahoo.co.uk. It it crashes when I login. I observed that it will crash when you reload the page as well.

The problem seemed to have gone away once I started to use IE tab as as Halvah
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Curiously, with Adblock Plus disabled I could not get FF to crash. I enabled it and FF crashed! I tried adding a disable Adblock Plus on Yahoo Mail and sub pages and FF crashed!

I am checking the Adblock Plus Forums for more information.
Sawbill_Guy

Post by Sawbill_Guy »

All:

I did a lot of trouble shooting, and found the culprit (at least for me). ADBLOCK PLUS! I uninstalled Adblock Plus, restarted firefox and my problems with yahoo mail were solved. I then downloaded the original Adblock, and it went right back to causing Firefox to crash when accessing yahoo mail. It seems the new version of FF has an issue with Adblock. Try it out, hope it works for everyone!
Grambly

Post by Grambly »

The testing I have done, and many of the things I have heard point to both adblock and adblock plus having serious risks of causing crashes or slowing down the browser. I think that adblocking is a feature that many people would like, just like popup blocking. Adblock is one of the most popular extensions, and I think that the people who would like adblocking is likely even a majority of browser users. An external entity can in my opinion never make a reliable and perfect extension for adblocking, especially when the core browser code is always changing. I would be in favor of this feature being controlled and tested by the main developers as a built-in feature. Is there a bug suggesting this be done?

P.S. Some degree of adblocking, good enough to get a large portion of ads, would be very simple and would not significantly increase the download size of the browser. If done right, it would not slow down browsing either but would speed it up by not wasting time downloading the ads. For example, if something like the usercontent.css method of blocking ads was included as a built in feature, most people would not be tempted to run adblock and thereby have trouble.
See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=392532
and the bottom of this page: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... ontent+ads
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

WildcatRay wrote:Curiously, with Adblock Plus disabled I could not get FF to crash. I enabled it and FF crashed! I tried adding a disable Adblock Plus on Yahoo Mail and sub pages and FF crashed!

I am checking the Adblock Plus Forums for more information.

The Adblock Plus extension writer appears to have found the problem. It appears that Yahoo Messenger installs a application extension file (npYState.dll) that acts "badly" with Firefox with Adblock Plus installed/running. I found the file right where he said it would be. After I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger, I went to Yahoo Mail and have had no trouble, no crashes.

Also, it is NOT a Firefox problem as when I ran FF without Adblock Plus even installed, I had NO trouble with Yahoo Mail.
Last edited by Old WildcatRay on March 20th, 2006, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

i am not able to send replies or mails using yahoo, though,yahoo mails are coming and i could read them regularly
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

WildcatRay wrote:Also, it is NOT a Firefox problem as when I ran FF without Adblock Plus even installed, I had NO trouble with Yahoo Mail.

Unfortunately this isn't necessarily true. See my comment in bug 326344 - very little is required to create a crash when npYState.dll is installed. The testcase confirms that Adblock Plus isn't doing anything wrong, the crash probably happens without Adblock Plus as well, just not that commonly. So the bug is either in Yahoo Messenger's plugin or in Firefox itself. For the former speaks the fact that crashes don't happen with other plugins, for the latter - that latest trunk builds don't seem to crash. So I'm not really sure, we'll see...
gionnetto

Post by gionnetto »

Hello,

same thing happened to me and I have no Yahoo Messenger installed. It got solved by turning the FFX popup blocker off.
Wladimir Palant

There are no popups on Yahoo so I don't think you solved anything. It probably simply was a one-time crash, some different problem. But anyway, you should check about:plugins for "Yahoo Application State Plugin" - you don't need Yahoo Messenger to have this plugin installed.
danielc2

Post by danielc2 »

I was having the same problem. I also had the Media Wrap extension installed. There is a new version of the extension that fixes the problem:

http://ftp.mozine.org/pub/mozilla/exten ... 6.1-fx.xpi

I installed this and My Yahoo no longer freezes up on me! For those of you that are still having this problem, even though you don't have Media Wrap installed, sorry, and good luck!

Post by Guest »

there really should be more quality control on the modules, add-ons and extension handlers. I'm quite sure the Yahoo problem is a code conflict with one or more of those. The Media Wrapper has whatever it is in there, and whatever that is must be in other add-on/extension handler codings. Someone needs to simply take responsibility for the quality control process. He/She would be a true HERO!

But firefox has no control over what extensions other people make, yet alone install ! This is by deliberate choice.
Extensions are not controlled by firefox. they are utterly separate. It is a convenience, nothing more than that, that there are pages simply listing extensions authors have created.

If you have an issue with the extension you've chosen to install, send feedback to the extensions developer! Don't complain here about the fact that they had the opportunity to make the extension in the first place, and only didn't get it quite right.
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:Also, it is NOT a Firefox problem as when I ran FF without Adblock Plus even installed, I had NO trouble with Yahoo Mail.

Unfortunately this isn't necessarily true. See my comment in bug 326344 - very little is required to create a crash when npYState.dll is installed. The testcase confirms that Adblock Plus isn't doing anything wrong, the crash probably happens without Adblock Plus as well, just not that commonly. So the bug is either in Yahoo Messenger's plugin or in Firefox itself. For the former speaks the fact that crashes don't happen with other plugins, for the latter - that latest trunk builds don't seem to crash. So I'm not really sure, we'll see...
Can anyone explain this and the comments on the bug report in layman's terms?

The obvious thing I am irked about is the I don't want Yahoo Messenger doing anything on my system when I do NOT have it running nor do I want Yahoo doing anything other than present pages IN my web browser. (When I say YM is not running, I do not have it load on bootup.)

I've since uninstalled YM because of this. Has anyone tried just deleting npYState.dll and then see what happens?
Wladimir Palant

Deleting npYState.dll is definitely enough, no issues after that (and installing npYState.dll without Yahoo Messenger is also enough to cause crashes).
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Deleting npYState.dll is definitely enough, no issues after that (and installing npYState.dll without Yahoo Messenger is also enough to cause crashes).
Thanks! :)