Problem using yahoo in firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Are you volunteering to help out, electricwind, because there's another characteristic of OSS, and that's that there's never enough people willing to do the boring jobs. :-P

Post by Guest »

Deleting the npYState.dll seemed to work for me and yahoo messenger still works without the file. The only very small grr. is I can't get yahoo to go to firefox when I have mail, not a huge thing. That's with having click having firefox as the primary browser.

Now, remember this when the new version of yahoo messenger comes out.
Yahoo Email Crashes

Yahoo Email Crashes

Post by Yahoo Email Crashes »

firefox_user2 wrote:A post by Craigevil FEB. Thurs.23/06 seemed to help the problem I was having with Yahoo freezing up. I don't understand the relevance of the change but it helped.

In the Firefox address bar, type in "about config:" scroll to " Network.DNS.. Disable IPV6 " Toggle this to true.

It may not help you but since I did that the freeze ups have stopped for me.
Good luck.
A while back, I followed this suggestion, I thought. My up to date Firefox continues to crash, only from Yahoo eMail. I just toggled the Network.dns...Disable IPV6.. to "True".

I closed the browser, then reopened it. I signed on to Yahoo, from the Instant Messenger. After a bit, the browser crashes, again. It is totally unpredictable. Sometimes, if I spend a short time in Yahoo Email, I can get out, without the browser crashing. I opened a Gmail account, to shift away from Yahoo, because of the crashes.

I am suspicious enough, of Microsoft, that it would not surprise me if something of theirs is the culprit. I have copied the Microsoft part here, from below:
- Microsoft® DRM: npwmsdrm.dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Microsoft® DRM: npdrmv2.dll
- DRM Netscape Network Object

- Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library: npdsplay.dll
- Npdsplay dll

I don't think AJAX is guilty, but I am easily confused. I am also a truck driver.

My configuration is:

Enabled Extensions: [19]
- Adblock 0.5.3.042 - Filters ads from web-pages
- AJAX Yahoo! Mail [Viamatic WebMail++] 0.6 - Preview messages in your Yahoo! mail account.
- aworldofhelpLinktool 1.0 - Adds a right-click to Link at aworldofhelp.com popup.
- Classic Menus for Winstripe 2.2.2
- Download Manager Tweak 0.7.1 - A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
- FunkyCache 0.2 - Get rid of all the cache this time for sure!!!
- MR Tech Local Install 4.6 - Local Install power tools for all users. (en-US)
- netcrafttoolbar 1.1.1.3 - Blocks Phishing Sites
- NoScript 1.1.3.9 - Extra protection for your Firefox:
- NoScript 1.1.3.5
- PopupSound 0.1.4 - Plays a sound when a popup window is blocked.
- QuickNote 0.6.0.2 - A note taking extension with advanced features
- ReminderFox 0.9.5.1 - Displays and manages reminders and ToDo's
- Resize Search Box 0.0.7 - Allows you to use a resize thumb to resize the search box.
- Show Image 0.4.1 - Adds context menu entry to reload images that failed to show on page.
- Statusbar Clock 1.7.1 - Display the date and time in your browser's status bar.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.5 - Tab browsing with an added boost.
- Titlebar Tweaks 1.7.0 - Tweak your browser's titlebar text.
- YMail Notifier 0.1.3

Disabled Extensions: [3]
- Classic Menus for Winstripe 2.2.2 - Replaces Firefox's menus to better fit the Windows Classic theme.
- Flashblock 1.5.1 - Replaces Flash objects with a button you can click to view them.
- FormFox 1.5 - Pops up form action when submit button is about to be clicked.

Total Extensions: 22

Installed Plugins: (25)
- Adobe Acrobat: nppdf32.dll
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- Adobe ESD Manager Plugin: NPAdbESD.dll
- <a href='http://www.adobe.com'>Adobe</a> ESD Version Manager 2.0
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJava14.dll
- Java Plug-in 1.5.0_06 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJava11.dll
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJava32.dll
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJava12.dll
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJava13.dll
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPOJI610.dll
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6: NPJPI150_06.dll

- Microsoft® DRM: npwmsdrm.dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Microsoft® DRM: npdrmv2.dll
- DRM Netscape Network Object

- Mozilla Default Plug-in: npnul32.dll
- Default Plug-in
- OpenOffice.org Plug-in: npsoplugin.dll
- OpenOffice.org Plug-in handles all its documents
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin3.dll
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the <A HREF=http://www.apple.com/quicktime/>QuickTime</A> Web site.
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin7.dll
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the <A HREF=http://www.apple.com/quicktime/>QuickTime</A> Web site.
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin4.dll
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin5.dll
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin.dll
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin2.dll
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4: npqtplugin6.dll
- Shockwave Flash: NPSWF32.dll
- Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
- Shockwave Flash: NPSWF32.dll
- Shockwave Flash 8.0 r24
- Shockwave for Director: np32dsw.dll
- Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1

- Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library: npdsplay.dll
- Npdsplay dll
- Yahoo Application State Plugin: npYState.dll

Post by Guest »

From Yahoo Email Crashes:

Sorry I couldn't edit the above post. After posting, I discovered that there were 3 pages, altogether.

I just deleted npYState.dll, then closed and reopened the browser. I then clicked on the Yahoo Mail icon, on the instant messenger.

This took me straight to my eMail, where I played around a bit. So far, So good.

Thanks everybody.
Yahoo Email Crashes

From Yahoo Email Crashes:

Sorry I couldn't edit the above post. After posting, I discovered that there were 3 pages, altogether.

I just deleted npYState.dll, then closed and reopened the browser. I then clicked on the Yahoo Mail icon, on the instant messenger.

This took me straight to my eMail, where I played around a bit. So far, So good.

Thanks everybody.
Yahoo Email Crashes

Sorry for the double post. Did I mention that I'm easily confused? Time for sleep.

Post by Guest »

I've also got the same problem, it's driving me crazy. I love Firefox and everything, and it works great, but I can't access the Yahoo.com page. When I try to access it, it says 'done' at the bottom, but the screen is blank. It appears that the only thing that loads from yahoo, is the little 'Y!' logo in the address bar. I'm forced to use IE everytime I want to check my Yahoo Mail.

WE NEED A HERO! WE'RE HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO TILL THE MORNING LIGHT!

Post by Guest »

Also, I've searched my entire PC and I can't find any trace of npYState.dll

Post by Guest »

This is ridiculous, surely there must be a solution to this! What's going on?!
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Anonymous wrote:This is ridiculous, surely there must be a solution to this! What's going on?!

Depending on your OS you may have to be logged on as an Administrator and not a User.

Also, you may need to check your Windows Explorer Options.

Open a Windows Explorer window and then choose Tools > Folder Options > View.

In View under "Hidden files and folders" click "Show hidden files and folders."

Next, uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)."

It is possible that you have been unable to see npYState.dll because it is in an operating system folder that may be hidden until you change your Windows Explorer Options.

Let us know how you make out.

Post by Guest »

There aren't any user accounts on my PC, just Administrator. I included 'hidden and system' folders and files in my search. I think that .dll has to do with the ad-block plugin or something. I haven't installed ad-block, the only plugins I have are: Talkback, searchpluginhacks and flashgot. I recall not being able to access yahoo.com even before installing any additional plugins.

I can access yahoo.com with IE, so it's an issue directly related to Firefox.
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Anonymous wrote:There aren't any user accounts on my PC, just Administrator. I included 'hidden and system' folders and files in my search. I think that .dll has to do with the ad-block plugin or something. I haven't installed ad-block, the only plugins I have are: Talkback, searchpluginhacks and flashgot. I recall not being able to access yahoo.com even before installing any additional plugins.

I can access yahoo.com with IE, so it's an issue directly related to Firefox.
npYState.dll is file that was installed on my computer when I installed Yahoo Messenger (YM).

When I found out from Wladimir Palant about this file, I uninstalled YM and then went to Yahoo Mail and FF worked fine. Later, I reinstalled YM and then deleted npYState.dll. I have accessed Yahoo Mail since without FF crashing as it did when npYState.dll was on my computer.

I had isolated (on my computer) the trouble to the combination of npYState.dll and Adblock Plus. I set up another FF profile where I did not install the Adblock Plus extension and FF worked fine when accessing Yahoo Mail even with npYState.dll still on my computer.

Palant believes there is some adverse interaction between Yahoo and FF, but, for me, the only "bad actor" I could find is npYState.dll.

I'm unclear if you have had FF crash with no other extension other than Talkback installed. If you haven't tried that, see if FF crashes. Either create another profile if you know how to or simply uninstall all extensions except Talkback. and let us know how you make out.

Post by Guest »

Just to clarify beforehand, my Firefox doesn't crash when trying to access www.yahoo.com, it simply doesn't load the page. The page is blank, and it says 'done' at the bottom. It's almost as if Firefox thinks it's finished loading the page when in fact it hasn't done anything, like some kind of software mis-communication.

Anyway, gonna try it without any plugins quick, report back soon.

Post by Guest »

Update: Having no extensions has no effect. What to do, what to do... I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem! Another of my compters on the same network has the same problem, and that computer has no extensions isntalled.
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

Anonymous wrote:Just to clarify beforehand, my Firefox doesn't crash when trying to access www.yahoo.com, it simply doesn't load the page. The page is blank, and it says 'done' at the bottom. It's almost as if Firefox thinks it's finished loading the page when in fact it hasn't done anything, like some kind of software mis-communication.

Anyway, gonna try it without any plugins quick, report back soon.
I only had trouble when on the various Yahoo Mail web pages. That has been fixed by deleting the npYState.dll file.

Some random thoughts are possibly cookie or cache issue. Did you install FF 1.5 clean (uninstall the old version and then install the new version)? That was recommended pre-FF 1.0 and I have done it every time a new version (1.0.x or 1.5.x) has come out. If you installed the new over the old skip to the bottom of this post.

If you did install clean, then you might try clearing the FF cache (Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache>Clear Cache Now).

Check that cookies can be set (Tools>Options>Privacy>Cookies and check to allow site to set cookie and Keep Cookies until they expire.

You may even want to clear all your cookies (Clear Cookies Now)

Check to make sure Java and Javascript are enabled (Tools>Options>Content and check Enable Java and Enable Javascript)

You may want to create a new Profile. Copy this line:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -p

and then Start>Run or press Windows key-R and paste it into the Open box. (The Windows key is between the Ctrl and Alt keys on the keyboard.) The profile manager will open. Create a new profile.

If all this fails, I would uninstall FF completely and then download a brand new copy and install from that. Create a new profile and try Yahoo.