MozillaZine

Viewing PostScript files in FireFox Browser (Mac OS X)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ugli-stix

Post Posted April 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I have a fairly simple question. I want to be able to click on a postscript (.ps and .eps) file and have it open in the FireFox browser. Does anyone know if there are any add-ons or extensions that allow you to do this if FireFox itself can't do it?

The kind of thing that I'm thinking of is similar to how Windows users can integrate Abobe to open in browser when clicking on PDF files. I'm getting kinda tired of having to launch seperate programs to view a simple postscript diagram. If the file was an image then it would be simply opened in FireFox - nice and quick and no downloading of the file to my desktop. I would like to be able to do a similar thing with postscript files if possible.

Cheers,
John

Post Posted April 4th, 2006, 12:51 pm

I believe the PDF Browser Plugin supports Postscript documents. I don't use a Mac so I can't say how well it works if at all.

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/OSX.html#PDF
http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

Post Posted April 4th, 2006, 1:05 pm

I'm not certain, but I don't believe that acrobat will display Postscript files. (Even though you can use them as a source when creating .PDF files). Ideally you should use something like GhostScript. AFAIK, though, there isn't a firefox plugin version.

If you are using Linux, you can use Plugger to allow you to use any viewer as a firefox extention. I don't know if the same kind of thing is available for the Windows based browser.

ugli-stix

Post Posted April 4th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Cheers - the PDF Browser plugin did the trick. It seems to use Preview (by default) to render the PS and PDF files. I may change it to another renderring app later as I don't like Preview's need to convert PS to PDF before it loads... but one step at a time!

Thanks again,
John

Post Posted April 4th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Great. I'm glad that at least got you stated in the right direction.

Return to Firefox Support