Unable to connect

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Pike

Post by Pike »

After every Firefox release I've seen (from 0.4 onwards) there are always a number of users who can't connect afterwards. In nearly every case it turns out to be a firewall issue. Please make sure you only have one firewall installed and that it is fully enabled, make sure any other firewalls are uninstalled (not disabled) and that your computer has been rebooted, then follow all the instructions here to setup your current firewall:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

@geoffathhg2

Does going back to 1.5.0.1 make it work again:

ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla. ... s/1.5.0.1/

Post by Guest »

"Does going back to 1.5.0.1 make it work again:

ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla. ... s/1.5.0.1/"

yes, that worked for me, im not using a firewall or antiV on this comp, so i wasnt sure why it wasnt working, i followed the "about:config" info, and that still didnt work, so rolling back versions was all i could do

Post by Guest »

Why did I ever take notice of the 'essential update'....

Has anyone got any other solution to this problem.

Post by Guest »

same thing here. After the update FF just won't connect to the net anymore.

Post by Guest »

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to revert back to the previous version. Clicking the link about gives me this message:

An error occurred opening the folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access this folder.

Details:
550 Failed to change directory.
HorseDrawnZepplin

Post by HorseDrawnZepplin »

Everybody: the FIRST THING that you do once you have had an upgrade to Firefox and it won't connect to the internet is (after exiting Firefox) go to your firewall software and REMOVE Firefox from the list of programs allowed to access the internet. Next time you start Firefox the firewall should ask you if Fx is allowed to access the internet, you say YES and you are away.

A lot of the time manually setting Firefox to 'yes' in the firewall config or disabling the firewall doesn't work.

Remember REMOVE it- DON'T just look and see it says Firefox and think you're OK because it ISN'T.

Any problems after that, check the knowledge base, THEN post back here <G>
fallentech

Post by fallentech »

Ok!

I figured this one out by accident. Leave it to M$ to mess up anything good. I restarted my computer and a message came up saying windows one care was being updated and was temp disabled, and walla firefox worked while windows one care was off. If you have windows one care disable it and see what happens. Worked for me, of course I had already gone through the whole gambit of disabling stuff, deleting profiles, and reinstalling with no effect and now I have to install all of my extentions/plugins again.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:edit^^
heres the link... ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla. ... /releases/

Its http://

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:edit^^
heres the link... ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla. ... /releases/

Its http://

Post by Guest »

Is anyone else using CA e Trust EZ Antivirus and Firewall?

I'm technicallychallenged so be nice to me. I shut down the Firewall and then Mozilla worked fine but as soon as I load it up again the problem is back.

I've looked everywhere in the Firewall for the list of programs that are allowed internet access and I cannot find them.

Can anyone help?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Can you find something like "program control"?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

I tried Horsedrawn Zepplin's suggestions, but I still can't get firefox to load any websites. I tried just shutting off the firewall entirely, but that didn't do it either. I'm using the Windows firewall and Symantec Antivirus, if that helps. If I can't get this to work, I'll just try out the old version, but I'd like to be able to use the newest version. I'm not the most computer savvy person around, so if anyone knows what to do, please explain it a bit slowly. Thank you!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Are you sure you have only Antivirus and not the firewall too?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
3l3ph4nt

Post by 3l3ph4nt »

ok, then explain MY problem.
i dont HAVE a firewall.
i dont HAVE zone alarm.
i dont have any virus protection software.

so i KNOW those aren't the issue.

im running windows 2000.
i've un-installed, deleted ALL files by hand, then reinstalled. no connection.
i've checked my proxies. i've done the about config toggle thing.
hell, just for kicks i uninstalled with cleaner, THEN i tried deleting EVERY SINGLE FILE one by one with killbox. then reinstalled an OLDER VERSION. now my older version wont work. FIREFOX IS COMPLETELY DEAD. i've tried everything listed here on the forums. and everyone seems to be giving ALL THE SAME ADVICE. nothing new has been stated.
IE works fine. no problems. im at work now on a mac using safari to post this.
DNP

Post by DNP »

I have the same problem on my WIN2K machine as 3l3ph4nt.

NO firewall
NO anti virus
NO active spyware scanner

I had to reinstall version 1.5 Beta 1

IE worked fine.

What is the fix?