Firefox Crashes Whenever I Try to Download Image

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
raycampbell

Firefox Crashes Whenever I Try to Download Image

Post by raycampbell »

Whenever I right click and try to download an image, Firefox crashes. I have removed all extensions, and then downloaded and reinstalled the latest version. It still happens. I am running Windows XP on a Toshiba laptop.

Any ideas as to why it crashes when I try to download? Since I need to download images from press sites when I run press releases at one of my sites, this causes problems with my workflow, and has forced me to reestablish Explorer as my browser.

Any help would be appreciated.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your response. I will try what they suggest.

Post by Guest »

ray, i had the same problem as you. the how-to is incorrect though. the application data is not in the windows folder, it is in c:/Documents and Setings/<any user>/ and then the "application folder" should be in there, but it shoudl be hidden. But in any case, that DOES fix the problem.
Alice

Post by Alice »

That article was referring to Windows systems, not the Windows folder. (It's since been updated.)

Going to Start → Run and entering → %APPDATA% will open the Application Data folder for the logged-in user on Windows 2000 or XP.

The "downloads.rdf" file you need to delete is located a number of layers underneath the "Application Data" folder, inside the "profile folder" (usually named xxxxxxxx.default).

For example, on Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"profile folder"\
raycampell

Post by raycampell »

I followed the %APPDATA% directions to the downloads.rdf file and deleted it. Downloading images now works without crashing Firefox. My effusive thanks to all who helped me get to this successful resolution.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Glad to hear it :)