MozillaZine

java error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dougan

Post Posted December 18th, 2003, 7:02 am

i have followed the install procedure as listed at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html and i get this error ( ln: `./libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists ) when creating the link (ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so) as specified in the instructions
any ideas what im doing wrong ?? when i access a page which needs the plugin the download plug-in box appears .
thanks

Old Persist

Post Posted December 18th, 2003, 7:38 am

Have you got j2re1.4.2_01 installed in /usr/java? I've just opened a terminal in my home directory and entered exactly the command you've given
Code: Select all
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
and it created a symbolic link called libjavaplugin_oji.so in my home directory. The problem with this is I don't have java installed in /usr/java so this symbolic link isn't pointing to anything. If I'd installed it in Firebirds plugins folder it wouldn't work, and if I try to run the same command twice it would give me the same error as you as, obviously, libjavaplugin_oji.so exists. Check where you've installed java. Open a terminal and enter
Code: Select all
find / -name libjavaplugin_oji.so
in amongst the files you're not allowed to search will be the true path to the libjavaplugin_oji.so you're looking for. Use copy and paste to avoid typos.

dougan

Post Posted December 18th, 2003, 7:58 am

thanks for a quick reply , once i read your post i had a look where it was installed and it is installed in usr/java .but i installed j2re 1.4.2_03 not 01 as i had typed originally .i removed the link in the firebird/plugin directory and re entered the command again ,reloaded a page that needs the plugin and it works great .i havnt been using linux long so i appreciate the direction .thanks again

Return to Firefox Support