some .torrent and .asx(?) problems in Windows

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Black Sheep

some .torrent and .asx(?) problems in Windows

Post by Black Sheep »

OK, after searching through some of the archives, I think the files are "marked" inappropriately by the web server. Is it the MIME type? I'm not really a web guy so I may not be using the right terminology, and I know I don't understand exactly what's happening. Some info here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=32983&highlight=torrent

I know it's not technically Firebird's fault, but it would be nice if there were a way to look at the name of the file being served and catch these problems. Does this already exist? Any way to easily add it? I tried adding the (MIME? File types area?) info directly in the past in Mozilla and Firebird, and it didn't help.

Thanks for any help.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

A fix has been checked in for Firebird 0.8.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep »

Awesome! :) Thanks for the info. Looks like it's coming along shortly.....
scratch

Post by scratch »

the fix won't help at all for .asx files, as they're plaintext.
Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep »

Dang. Is there any way to add that, then? Could there be a (potentially optional, probably default on) secondary check to see if plaintext files have an extension that should be associated with a particular file type?
scratch

Post by scratch »

if someone made something like that, it would have to be an extension. there's no way that anyone will check that into the tree as it completely violates standards.
Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep »

OK.....

I wish I were more proficient at coding, but that might be a good idea to consider. If people hope to see greater acceptance of things like Firebird, they ought to do a few things to make it easier for people who don't understand or even less, care about the standards. When this stuff doesn't work in FB and it works fine in IE, 9 out of 10 people won't care that "it's the web site's fault."

IMHO, of course, but I really do prefer FB and hope to see it do well. It's also a mild hassle to deal with these things, as they aren't at all uncommon on the web.