Why is Firefox so SLOW?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Geist in der Maschine

First time here

Post by Geist in der Maschine »

This is the first time I've ever been here looking for answers about FireFox...and it will probably be the last. There is so much crap flying back and forth between Microsoft-haters and whomever else, it's a waste of time to even wade through all the posts, hoping you manage to find some type of help to your problem.

Some of you have huge egos...which of course means you have tiny *******?

Microsoft anti's, Opera Trolls....WTH is that about? Someone has a preference, so what? You're going to call people names? Based on their OS or browser prefs? How kindergartenish.

I assume my IP is visible to the mods...so if what I've written here leads to me being banned...oh well. I hadn't planned on visiting again anyway. It was a real disappointment, seriously.

BTW...what was all that about..."looking to be banned again?" etc etc in earlier posts? Was someone egging someone else on? Or was that a Mod warning someone? Don't waste the keystrokes, just BAN THEM. NO WARNINGS should be given. When someone like me comes here for real assistance, and has to wade through all the crap, someone here isn't doing their job(s).

Good luck with everything, y'all take care.

and btw...Firefox IS overall slower than IE. It's a fact, not an opinion. Really, I'd choose FF over IE anyday...but not when it's this slow :(

Sayonara
schapel

Re: First time here

Post by schapel »

Geist in der Maschine wrote:and btw...Firefox IS overall slower than IE. It's a fact, not an opinion. Really, I'd choose FF over IE anyday...but not when it's this slow :(

It seems plenty fast to me, even compared to Opera, which is widely regarded as the fastest browser. Could you explain what you mean by "it's this slow"?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Geist,
If you have a problem that you want help with, pick the right place to post (not here), describe the problem clearly and concisely, and stick to the facts. Your chances of solving the problem diminish with each bit of extraneous discussion. We can discuss your problem or your anguish/anger/whatever, but we don't have time for both.

EDIT: I don't know, maybe you should post here, since you've got schapel on the line. He knows what he is doing.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Great. Now I have to live up to my reputation. :wink:

Anyway, according to the infamous <a href="http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#winspeed">Browser speed comparisons</a> Firefox is indeed slower than IE for most operations, but only by about 20-30% for anything except startup. Even on a DSL connection faster than a T1 connection, most of the time spent waiting for the browser to do something is waiting for the page to load over the network, not waiting for Firefox to display the page after it's arrived. You're going to have to explain in detail what exactly is "so slow," because we frankly don't see anything noticeably slow.
pjamessmithV

SLOW FIREFOX

Post by pjamessmithV »

FIREFOX on Ubuntu is very slow... even if you make all of the tweeks recommended by the Ubuntu forums.

I've read much of the discussion here and elsewhere. I feel that it doesn't help Firefox or Linux users to pretend that some software is working well, when in fact, it does not. Things do not get better when you paper over things. It is essential to face facts to improve.

It may be the case that Firefox loads pages for some users.... However, there are very many users out there with 3Mip service that you would think is dial-up. There is something wrong: either Linux or Firefox, or both. There do not seem to be many people willing to delve into the problem to solve it.

Caveat emptor.

Phil Smith
Duluth, GA
anderzen

Post by anderzen »

How fast is fast and how slow is slow is like the beauty is in the eye of the beholder quote...its mainly relative from user to user

I think my version of Firefox is fast and in line with IE...but this may not be so in the eyes of others

that being said if we didn't have other Browsers to compare each other to we would never no between fast and slow it would just simply be

But I do agree with FirefoxOnMyPowerBook that most users don't want to be botherd with tweaking there browser to make it faster and Mozilla should take this into account and not release a new version if it isn't just as fast if not faster than the previous ?
"Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious about any."
SuprTyphoon

Post by SuprTyphoon »

Finally, other people who agree with me that Firefox is getting slower with each release. I have been sick and tired of hearing people flame me for saying FF is slow, they are like "everyone else thinks it's faster" "if that's the case then go use IE" "ban this user" etc. This forum is meant to express opinions and not hide behind the silent majority curtain.
Joboran

Post by Joboran »

Firefox is slow on Ubuntu and Debian, because they mangled it and put in baloney like Pango. If you get Swiftfox or the official Firefox binary it will work better.
mike_lee

Post by mike_lee »

NukeyDoo wrote:...They for some reason feel that the price of their monthly subscription to their ISP should be enough to get anything else they want on it for free. So, that must tell you how good Opera really is. And no I'm not an Opera user, so I'm not trolling for it.

I have spoken-eth. ;)

Interestingly enough it was I.E. giving away their browser that started the whole "Software should be free" thing - how ironic (Netscape cosr $29.00 or something, yes I purchased a web browser)

As to speed or memory issues, get a demo copy of "taskinfo" and it will show you where all the memory is going, and also allow you to free it up (flush process memory out)This is a screenshot of the program, not a link to the prog. http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _464lo.jpg

You love the extensions but the extensions cause most of the problems. You can't have your cake and Edith too (although do you really want to hit on a girl named Edith?)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Since Linux has been mentioned, you should know that in the near future the Debian distribution will not be allowed to use the name Firefox, because it's not quite the same program. I assume the same applies to Ubuntu, but I'm not sure. If you want Firefox, you can get it from Mozilla.
Jorolat

Post by Jorolat »

Well I don't know enough to speed my firefox installation and I don't like ie6 cos it ain't got no tabbing...

but after 20 minutes of setting up opera - importing bookmarks 'n stuff - I'm up and running and its FAST!!

Shame no-one can help us non-tekkies

John Latter / Jorolat
James

Post by James »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Since Linux has been mentioned, you should know that in the near future the Debian distribution will not be allowed to use the name Firefox, because it's not quite the same program. I assume the same applies to Ubuntu, but I'm not sure. If you want Firefox, you can get it from Mozilla.

Its not a matter of being allowed to use it at all, just depends on whether Debian (for example) is willing to meet the requirements in order to use Firefox name and or official artwork. But since Debian feels they are well within their right to do whatever they want with changes...

Re: Why is Firefox so SLOW?

Post by Guest »

Xorr wrote:I don't get it. I checked on the standard fixes for speeding up Firefox, such as entering about:config and setting:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

to "true"

and setting:

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

to 30.

And still it loads pages like a sloth on a lazy day compared to IE. There must be a way to speed it up. I can't seem to find any other fixes to speed it up. I'll go to various phpBB web discussion forums, and while IE loads the page almost as fast as I can blink, Firefox takes its sweet time. I have Comcast and average 3-4Mb downoads, but FF tends to make it feel like dial up speeds.

Is there anything I can do to get it to compare to IE in speed?

On a nice computer, with Firefox 1.5, and Firefox is slow... particularly in loading? That's unusual. Here's what I suggest.

1. Check to be sure you're not using Firefox 2. Its a beta and there have been complaints about how slow it is. Better to wait for the final product before trying it out.

2. Check to see how you're connecting to the internet. The most-overlooked solution is to tell it "Direct Connection to the Internet". Often, this change fixes the problem for most people and speeds up the browser dramatically.

3. Check how many extensions you have and find out if any conflict with each other. Its how you create your own "bloat" sometimes. Check to see if you have viruses, spyware, malware, etc. Make sure your firewall is fully accepting Firefox. Sometimes changing firewalls helps.

4. If you're running Spybot S & D, disable the Immunize. When you Immunize, sometimes it slows things to an incredibly-mind-boggling crawl.

5. Double-check the performance of your ISP.

Try these solutions and let me know what happens.
Old src2206

Post by Old src2206 »

I do not agree that FF is slow. I have 5 browsers onboard: IE7 RC1, FF 1.5.0.7, Avant 11, Opera 9.1 and Seamonkey. I have been using FF in windows for last 5 years and in Linux for last 1 year, and I strongly claim that it is not slow. Yes it does take up a good amount of resources and I beleive that may be the reason behind its stability. I think certain tweakings in FF sometimes improvrs the performence. Using the extension Fasterfox also boost the performence of FF.

I salute the FF team for this wonderful browser..
Thank you my friends.
Richy001

Post by Richy001 »

I downloaded FF 2.0 this morning and found it VERY slow.

Turning off the automatic updates fixed it for me:

Tools - Options - Update

Uncheck the boxes.