Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

grassyk wrote:Okay, if my firewall is messing things up...why am I only able to access certain websites and not others? This was not a problem before?

I think this update is very buggy :-( Even the FF updates page won't download properly.... all of the images will not display?

Could this also be my firewall?

I don't think my update installed completely. Is there a way that I can re-install it?
Sometimes your profile - where your settings are stored - gets screwed. In this case try to find the problem using the hints here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
Redbad

Sound advice

Post by Redbad »

[quote="VanillaMozilla"]This happens with <i>every</i> update. People make just about every possible mistake with firewalls. They are absolutely convinced the problem is not a firewall, right up until they fix their firewall.

Well must admit I intially was a bit sceptical about,what I figured to be, your assumptions but read carefully nevertheless and when I saw you mentioned something about "forgotten firewalls running in the back" I figured Sygate (not starting up only ZA but still on my PC) could cause the problem and so it was because after I uninstalled it the problem was fixed :) So thanx for the advice!
unused-account-1

Post by unused-account-1 »

I'm afraid its auto-downloaded for me, which aappears to be glitch others also suffer, and I'm desperately trying to ask for the following advice:

ANYTHING I CAN DO TO *BLOCK* FF INSTALLING THE UPDATE DOWNLOAD, WHEN I RESTART?

Seems to me, there must be some files I could temporarily rename, or delete, in order to do this. Or some other way of doing it......
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

gloriaS wrote:My problem is that I lost all the information I stored in my bookmarks.... leaving me only with the few I stored in my toolbar folder........ the rest was wiped out clean
Not a very happy customer
You can still check the bookmarkbackups folder: Bookmarks-(date).html

It could also be a localstore problem, so check that first: localstore.rdf
The <a href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode" title="Safe mode">safe mode</a> option "Reset toolbars and controls" clears this file.
murph38_99

Post by murph38_99 »

Im having the same problem, but firefox will load https pages but nothing else....
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you try to remove Fx from your firewall?
See page 2: <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2295421#2295421" title="The top 11 ways to get fooled by firewalls" >The top 11 ways to get fooled by firewalls</a> (VanillaMozilla)

Post by Guest »

I am at wit's end. Some websites load, others don't. I've been messing with my firewall, ZoneAlarm for hours (yes, going into program control and taking out Firefox). I've gone into safe mode and messed with things there. I've gone and changed that setting to "Toggle". I've completely shut off the firewall and virus protection program, AVG, and checked under processes to make sure that no processes were running.

I ran EnumProcess, and here were the results:

[System Process]
System
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for EnumProcess.zip\EnumProcess.exe

Can anyone tell me what these results mean? I've been using Firefox for just under 2 years, and this is the first time I've had to seriously consider going back to IE or Netscape.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest wrote:Some websites load, others don't.
"If Firefox (Fx) seems normal in every respect except that you can't load <b><i>any</i></b> Web pages, then a firewall is the first thing to suspect...."
--From 11 ways to get fooled by firewalls

You don't have a firewall problem. Firewalls block Internet access either always or never. As a logical possibility you could possibly have some other security program that's limiting access to certain Web sites for some reason. I would think a DNS problem or maybe an extension problem is more likely.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_some_websites
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_rand ... n%27t_load
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 19th, 2006, 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Anonymous wrote:I am at wit's end. Some websites load, others don't. I've been messing with my firewall, ZoneAlarm for hours (yes, going into program control and taking out Firefox). I've gone into safe mode and messed with things there. I've gone and changed that setting to "Toggle". I've completely shut off the firewall and virus protection program, AVG, and checked under processes to make sure that no processes were running.

I ran EnumProcess, and here were the results:

[System Process]
System
\SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe
\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for EnumProcess.zip\EnumProcess.exe

Can anyone tell me what these results mean? I've been using Firefox for just under 2 years, and this is the first time I've had to seriously consider going back to IE or Netscape.
It tells me that you have no firewall active as you said.
What do you get for the sites not loading? Simply nothing e.g a "Done" in the status bar, a "server not found" error or what?

Post by Guest »

Trolly, I'm getting this:

The connection has timed out.

The server at www.baltimoresun.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I'm getting it for a wide range of sites, like hotmail, yahoo mail, pinkisthenewblog (http://trent.blogspot.com/), baltimoresun.com, to name a few.

Vanilla, I'm in the process of trying your links, but still not successful. I'll let you know if I am. Thanks for both of your replies.

Post by Guest »

To add to the above list of sites, Bank of America is also not loading.

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, I have had the same problem, I finally got ff working. I uninstalled newest version and installed old ff 1.06.
Will wait untill bugs are worked out of new update.

Firefox stopped working

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone, I have had the same problem, I finally got ff working. I uninstalled newest version and installed old ff 1.06.
Will wait untill bugs are worked out of new update.
Tundra-eh

Post by Tundra-eh »

For the last 2 days FF has not worked. I just got it working again, by uninstalling newest update and re-installing old FF version 1.06. I now will wait untill bugs are worked out of the new version before updating
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Anonymous wrote:To add to the above list of sites, Bank of America is also not loading.
Are those all https sites?
In that case see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_is_disabled