Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

ciskowitz wrote:I'm having the same problem after updating to v1.5.0.4. I use ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall. I've been using Firefox for over a year with ZA and it just stopped working today when I rebooted after updating to v1.5.0.4. No matter how I configure Firefox in ZA, it doesn't work. ZA usually will automatically recognize if a new version of a program is trying to access the Internet and prompt me to Allow\Deny. It didn;t happen with v1.5.0.4. I deleted it from the ZA Programs list and re-added with all access. No good. I keep getting "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

I also don't appreciate the arrogant replies such as "Well if shutting down ZoneAlarm works, then this is a ZoneAlarm problem and NOT a FireFox problem."

I don't see any reason to contact ZA if I update Firefox and it suddenly becomes incompatible with ZA. What do you think they're going to tell me? "Oh, sorry, we'll get our Tech Support staff to work on that for you!" No, they're going to tell me to contact Mozilla, since their update caused the problem.
Do you have any other firewall running? 1.5.0.4 runs fine with my ZA free. You can use this tool to get a list of your processes which can be posted here.
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.zip

Post by Guest »

ciskowitz wrote:I'm having the same problem after updating to v1.5.0.4. I use ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall. I've been using Firefox for over a year with ZA and it just stopped working today when I rebooted after updating to v1.5.0.4. No matter how I configure Firefox in ZA, it doesn't work. ZA usually will automatically recognize if a new version of a program is trying to access the Internet and prompt me to Allow\Deny. It didn;t happen with v1.5.0.4. I deleted it from the ZA Programs list and re-added with all access. No good. I keep getting "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

I also don't appreciate the arrogant replies such as "Well if shutting down ZoneAlarm works, then this is a ZoneAlarm problem and NOT a FireFox problem."

I don't see any reason to contact ZA if I update Firefox and it suddenly becomes incompatible with ZA. What do you think they're going to tell me? "Oh, sorry, we'll get our Tech Support staff to work on that for you!" No, they're going to tell me to contact Mozilla, since their update caused the problem.

Yeah, the whole thing is a joke. I only have one firewall. I disabled it completely. Still no Firefox. Then I try their safestart instructions which says that there is some sort of Firefox safe mode start file in the Mozilla Firefox folder, but I don't see it.

And if you complain in a separate subject, they just delete it and call you names like Grumpy.
bdr

Post by bdr »

When i installed ver. 1.5.0.4, a month or so ago, it was so intolerably buggy that i had to uninstall it, find a version of the then-unavailable (at your site) 1.5.0.3, and reinstall that. This makes it a bit difficult to trust Firefox to the degree I have previously. Looking at comments on your bulletin boards after the fact, it was clear that others found the upgrade buggy as well. So i use .3, and will wait for a while before trusting your upgrades again. I cannot fathom what you were thinking in putting that up when you did.
Barry
leopoldv

FIREWALL NOT UPDATING

Post by leopoldv »

Here I am again after 10 hours of relaxation and 1 hour of work. My FF works again. I have checked the Kaspersky Anti/hacker again thoroughly and FF started working as expected. I don´t understand why it didn´t worked though Anti-hacker was exited. But..... it is SW, so..... I am not perfectly sure what I have done in an hour of trying all kind od tricks about FF, however I am sure, that the new installation of FF was received by Kaspersky as a NEW application, that was blocked to go out. However I am not sure, why Kaspersky didn´t ask me to allow FF to go out as it usually does. But again, it iS SW....
ANYWAY IT WAS FIREWALL AND NOT FF !!
Leopold
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

B-MAN wrote:I uninstalled my zonealarm... <b>my windows firewall is off... not other firewalls..</b> it shows no websites.

trolly wrote:You have a Sygate firewall active.

B-MAN wrote:<b>Ah damn i thought i uninstalled that old thing before.</b>

Famous last words. You only <i>think</i> you've disabled it. <b>Most of you need to get trolly's EnumProcess program to find out what's blocking Internet access.</b> I've used it. It really works.

You all need to know that a firewall is designed to block Internet access by any and <i>all</i> programs that do not have your permission for access. It's not a question of any sort of "incompatibility" between Fx and a firewall. The firewall is simply a gatekeeper between the Internet and your computer, and <i>nothing</i> is supposed to be able to get through. If you think a firewall should let through anything called "Firefox", there would be nothing to stop a virus or any other program that decided to use that name.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 2nd, 2006, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I've used Firefox for a while. I haven't had any problems with it until now. After each automatic update Firefox would work perfectly without any fault and without any need to adjust my firewall settings, until 1.5.0.4. It simply doesn't work. It's NOT my firewall, it's nothing I can come up with, other than the possibility of 1.5.0.4 being flawed.

I've installed 1.5.0.3 and it works perfectly like it did yesterday. So, people who say the problem lies within your firewall, that's not true. At least not for me.
trolly

Post by trolly »

There is still the possibility that some firewall manufacturers are sending out footprints for safe programs. If you get such an update before you install the program you will not see it. If you do not have that update your firewall is blocking.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

[url=http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2295421#2295421]The top 10 reasons people get fooled by firewalls --

and what to do if you still don't believe it[/url]
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 2nd, 2006, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Have just updated to FF 1.5.0.4 and am running Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Antivirus (Separatly loaded - not as NIS). No problems. When FF tried to access the internet, NPF asked for permission. When permission was granted, FF accessed the net.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Norton probably works right most of the time, but it also causes a lot of problems. It may be a question of different versions, or of some subtle misuse, or maybe it's not getting the needed program fingerprints, as Trolly suggested.
Lost User 59366

firewalls yes-no-maybe

Post by Lost User 59366 »

Probably the most correct description of the problem of updates is that the program last updated is probably the cause of any problems until proven otherwise. If everything was working previously before the update then it is proper to look at what changed.

1. So look at reinstalling Ff, and disabling extensions, new blank profile, etc.

2. Just because an existing set up did not show errors before, doesn't mean there were no errors in the underlying program (e.g. your firewall). All it means is they weren't activated. An update without errors itself may exercise a previously unused part of the code thus revealing the heretofro unknown errors in the underlying software, e.g. the firewall or anti-viral programs.

3. Ditto #2 for revealing underlying operating system problems.

4. For zonealarm go to the config menu and click the PROGRAMS tab. Once there you can configure how ZA responds to each new program. Very important: if you have done more than one installation or update of FF, then you will see that many entries--one for each attempt! Check the data in the info box for the most current version or the version you want to use. Verify the green dot is activated next to the active version of FF that you want to use. (You can delete all the others, don't worry--if you want to reuse an older version--ZA will recreate the entry.) Once you find the entry you want, check the permissions you want to give-- at first just permit all. Right click each column's entry to see if any default restrictions might be in place. Especially note to tell ZA to classify FF as "changes frequently" to reduce being asked every time.

Note more generally at the PROGRAMS tab you can use the sliders to turn off all controls. (Set all to off.)

5. Sometimes FF changes the connection settings. On the options' panel select the bottom item: Connection settings --there the top item "Direct connection..." should be checked for most users.
If you don't know you are using a proxy--then you probably are not!

Bottom line, however, is that if enough users report similar problems, then that item in common is probably the cause. And it does appear that the reported problems cover several OSs and several FW and AV programs. When I installed 1.5.0.4 I think (been a while) I had to manually tell both ZA and Norton about the change and maybe change a port permission!

(pre-release 1.5.0.4, XP2, ZA, and Norton's fw and av)
gloriaS

Post by gloriaS »

My problem is that I lost all the information I stored in my bookmarks.... leaving me only with the few I stored in my toolbar folder........ the rest was wiped out clean
Not a very happy customer
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

99% of the time the problem is with your FIREWALL, this same problem has been popping up in the forum after every update since at least 1.0.

Occassionally the update process does go screwy but rarely. In which case you download the newest version and manually install it problem solved.

The BIGGEST problem is most people either don't know they have a firewall , or they do not know how to use it or shut it off(which they should never do anyway). Read the manual for your firewall, and other security software.

Its not OMG firefox sux It updated and now I can't connect. The problem as most of us have said a million times is your FIREWALL blocking the new version of Firefox.

Summary of Can't Connect/timeout Solutions - MozillaZine Forums
How do I know if I have a firewall:
"If you're using a reasonably recent Windows version, you probably already know Microsoft has included a personal firewall as part of its systems package. If you have upgraded to Service Pack 2, you've noticed that the firewall is turned on by default. If you want to check, go to your control panel and click on the security center icon. It'll tell you whether your personal firewall is installed and running, and if it's not, the security center will help you do this. Incidentally, the security center will also tell you if your anti-virus software is up to date, assuming you're using one a mainstream AV product and it will offer to turn automatic updates on."
http://www.securitypipeline.com/55300785

An important thing to note: If you have ever had a firewall installed, it is worth checking that it is really gone. There have been numerous cases reported here where firewalls did not fully, or correctly uninstall, and were the source of problems.
This includes limited time free versions included with a new pc purchase.They do not go away on their own, even if your free period has expired. And worth repeating: Many firewalls also still function somewhat, EVEN WHILE DISABLED.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list
grassyk

Post by grassyk »

Okay, if my firewall is messing things up...why am I only able to access certain websites and not others? This was not a problem before?

I think this update is very buggy :-( Even the FF updates page won't download properly.... all of the images will not display?

Could this also be my firewall?

I don't think my update installed completely. Is there a way that I can re-install it?
Jen0731

Thank You

Post by Jen0731 »

I've been spending a bit of time, since firefox updated, trying to figue out why it wasn't working. Well, within one minute, of coming to this forum, I found Mcafee was blociking it out. After, using this browser, nothing else compares. Thank you all for your help. I couldn't have imagined being without my firefox.

Thank you,
Jen