Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
HorseDrawnZepplin

Post by HorseDrawnZepplin »

Folks, there are all sorts of random questions, quirks, bug reports etc. etc. in here.

Could each person with a problem please start *their own thread* with a clear statement of the problem and we can go from there...
Boognish

Post by Boognish »

Might be time to lock it up.

Post by Guest »

And I have the same problem as well. There is a bug in the update linking to previous sites. I've tried system restore to go back, and it still autoupdates, even with autoupdate OFF. Very dissapointing for such a good package.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

callenderc:
Make sure you have software install enabled:
Open: about:config <enter>
Filter: xpinstall.enabled -> true
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... Firefox%29
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

HorseDrawnZepplin wrote:Could each person with a problem please start *their own thread* with a clear statement of the problem and we can go from there...

Yup. It was mostly firewalls at first, but now people are describing all kinds of problems, and dribbling information out over many posts. It's pretty hard to keep them all separate, and I'm not going to try.

I suggest posting your problems in separate threads. Try to find the solution yourself so you'll know better what to ask, but ask for help if you get stuck. Please give a concise but accurate description of your problem in your first message, so someone can help you efficiently.
DCCPILOT

1.5.0.4 Issues

Post by DCCPILOT »

Looking at all the posts, and having spent several hours myself trying, unsuccessfully, to get FF to load any URL, I've now gone back to IE. While I liked a few of the FF features, Mozilla has caused a huge amount of angst and wasted time with this new release. Hopefully, users will boycott FF in sufficient #'s to get a reasonable response from Mozilla - simply a version that works without deploying the skills of a network admin, if even then.

The arrogance of the support folks in this forum is unbelievable.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Most problems after updating are caused by extensions and that are addons that you use on your own risk as no-one can ever garantee that they work and keep working.
So the first to try is always -safe-mode or Create a Test Profile
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

DCCPILOT,
There are usually only three things that can go wrong in an update:
1. Incomplete update. If update doesn't complete automatically, download the new version and install it manually. Simple.
2. Incompatible extensions. Safe mode, new profile. See my signature. Takes less than a minute to get yourself a new, pristine copy of Firefox that is not messed up.
3. Firewall.

That's all we can tell you without more information. If you notice, assuming most of the firewall problems have been taken care of, there are still about 6 or 8 people here, each likely with different problems. So give us a break and describe your problem.

By the way, the people who are helping here are just users like you.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 5th, 2006, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddassow

Post by ddassow »

I use a Mac. I've noticed for a long time that whenever I have to restart my computer, Firefox does not work. What I've done in the past is go back to the application folder and click on the icon and then it works fine until the next time I do a restart. If, however, I've put the alias (I think that's what the icon is that sits on my desktop all the time) in the trash and dumped the trash, then I have to go back to the Firefox website (through another browser of course) and reinstall. This is true even though there's a Firefox icon located in Applications.

This is inconvenient and seems unnecessary.
ddassow

Post by ddassow »

I use a Mac. I've noticed for a long time that whenever I have to restart my computer, Firefox does not work. What I've done in the past is go back to the application folder and click on the icon and then it works fine until the next time I do a restart. If, however, I've put the alias (I think that's what the icon is that sits on my desktop all the time) in the trash and dumped the trash, then I have to go back to the Firefox website (through another browser of course) and reinstall. This is true even though there's a Firefox icon located in Applications.

This is inconvenient and seems unnecessary.
ddassow

Post by ddassow »

Oops. Sorry that message went twice!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

ddassow wrote:I use a Mac. I've noticed for a long time ....

Please, start another thread. And put the word "Mac" in the title so Mac people will notice it. It's definitely a Mac problem, and most of us don't have a clue. This thread is about update problems, and it's a lousy place to get help for your problem.
shico

Firefox...New Version

Post by shico »

I'm having the same problem. After reading the posts I thought I'd check ZA permissions. Surprise! ZA was no longer running. I restarted ZA and found that Firefox versions 1503 & 1504 were now versions 1803 & 1804.
trolly

Post by trolly »

ZA reports the Gecko (rendering engine) version. Gecko 1.8.0.4 is FF 1.5.0.4. Any other problems?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
SaferNet4All

Post by SaferNet4All »

I find it a real shame with each Update I come here to check how it's going and an hour later I'm put off risking taking the simple step of performing an update .
Some simple steps like checking Firewall , using safemode , and making a new profile seem the best way to go. I'm stuck here with tired eyes happily using Firefox 1.5.0 (1.8.20051.11116) feeling scared to make the change...again , to 1.5.1 /.2 /.3/& .4 .Surely this should be only a simple half hour task !