Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

I have updated over hundred times in the last year (using trunk builds). The only thing i see for an update is the question of my firewall if i want to allow the (modified) program. So it is not a basic problem. It may be some special setting or software unique to your system which creates the problem.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Anonymous wrote:Tens of millions? I doubt that.

A year or two ago, when automated updates were still new, someone reported the actual number of updates. There were about 40 million updates in the first few days -- I think just for the US English version. One person also estimated approximately 100 million users worldwide, based on worldwide market share data. The Firefox market share has grown quite a bit since then. Let me know when you see 400,000 complaints about connection difficulties with this update (ha-ha). That would be 1% of a conservatively estimated 40 million.

We used to see a lot more firewall problems. Improvements in the Knowledge Base and in the firewalls, as well as better support by the firewall makers, have greatly reduced the number of problems.

As people have mentioned many times on this forum, there are other possible causes of connection problems after an update. Nevertheless, firewalls and other security programs are still prime suspects, and most people who are helping will want to know why you think the problem is not a security program. Experience with firewalls has shown that surprises with these programs are common. Whatever the problem, your best chance at getting it fixed is to state the symptoms briefly but clearly, answer questions, and basically, to exercise a bit of diligence.

Post by Guest »

I've stated the problem numerous times and nobody has been able to help me.

- Firefox will not connect to the internet.
- Firewalls were off at the time of the update. Firefox will not work regardless of whether the firewall is on or off, or whether I've added it (yes, the new version) to the exceptions list.
- Norton has been uninstalled, and there are no other security programs.
- I uninstalled Firefox 2.0 and re-installed 1.5, and it still doesn't work.
- I tried all the suggestions I've seen on here, and nothing works.
Schwab

Post by Schwab »

I cannot get firefox to run after the update and have been subjected to too long using IE.....and I have tried all the turning off the firewall links, and so on.... so anyways here is what the Enum Process has found

[System Process]
System
smss.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Session Manager)
csrss.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Client Server Runtime Process)
wininit.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Start-Up Application)
winlogon.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Logon Application)
services.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Services and Controller app)
lsass.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Local Security Authority Process)
lsm.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Local Session Manager Service)
svchost.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Host Process for Windows Services)
Ati2evxx.exe (ATI Technologies Inc. / ATI External Event Utility EXE Module)
audiodg.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation )
SLsvc.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Microsoft Software Licensing Service)
Ati2evxx.exe (ATI Technologies Inc. / ATI External Event Utility EXE Module)
ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Desktop Window Manager)
spoolsv.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Spooler SubSystem App)
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Task Scheduler Engine)
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Defender User Interface)
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe (Synaptics, Inc. / Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements)
C:\Windows\sttray.exe (SigmaTel, Inc. / Sigmatel Audio system tray application)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe (Symantec Corporation / Symantec User Session)
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE (ATI Technologies Inc. / CLI Application (Command Line Interface))
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe (Google / Google Desktop)
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe (CyberLink Corp. / CyberLink PowerCinema Resident Program)
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 926\dlcxmon.exe (Device Monitor)
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 926\memcard.exe (Memory Card Manager Executable)
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe (Symantec Corporation / Symantec AntiVirus)
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Sidebar)
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe (Google / Google Desktop)
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe (Gteko Ltd. / Dell Support)
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Media Center Tray Applet)
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application)
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Media Center Media Status Aggregator Service)
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe (Avanquest Software / Digital Line Detection)
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe (Dell Inc / QuickSet)
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe (Google / Google Desktop)
AluSchedulerSvc.exe
DefWatch.exe
dlcxcoms.exe ( / Printer Communication System)
MDM.EXE
RoxWatch9.exe
stacsv.exe (SigmaTel, Inc. / STacSV Module)
Rtvscan.exe
SearchIndexer.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Microsoft Windows Search Indexer)
XAudio.exe
taskeng.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Task Scheduler Engine)
wmpnetwk.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe (ATI Technologies Inc. / CLI Application (Command Line Interface))
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe (ATI Technologies Inc. / CLI Application (Command Line Interface))
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Explorer)
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Internet Explorer)
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Internet Explorer)
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe (Adobe Systems Incorporated / Adobe Reader 7.0)
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Internet Explorer)
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (Mozilla Corporation / Firefox)
C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Q7J7YLJO\EnumProcess[1].exe (Me, myself and I / EnumProcess)

I am running it on Vista, any help would be appreciated

Post by Guest »

steviex wrote:

Yes, I've read everything and tried everything suggested on here. I'm no techie though, so I don't necessarily understand everything. I've run EnumProcess, even though I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to do. I posted my results here, and nobody responded. I tried the standard diagnostic, clean reinstall, and even reinstalled the old version. Nothing works.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Sorry, there are too many of you. No time for customized advice. So...

Generic advice
1. Make sure you have an Internet connection. (Can other programs access the Internet?)

2. Check the method of connection. Tools > Options > Advanced > Network. Usually you want direct connection to the Internet, unless you are required to use a proxy.

3. Make sure you have no firewall that is blocking Firefox. (*Did you forget about an old one? *Did you uninstall or deactivate one? -- sometimes this does only part of the job, leaving the active part still running. --etc.) (DO NOT run without a firewall of some sort, even briefly -- at least leave the Windows firewall or a NAT router running.)

** Look here. Download and run "WDNSLookup". Use it to look up www.google.com. <i>If you have to do anything special to allow that program to connect to the Internet, you probably have a firewall.</i> The firewall may be blocking Firefox, especially if you previously told it to block Firefox.

4. Deactivate or uninstall other Internet security software, at least temporarily.

5. If you still cannot open Web pages, start Firefox in Firefox safe mode and clear everything you can (but do NOT reset bookmarks!).

6. If that doesn't work, create a new profile for testing. (Use it WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING!) See my signature for details. This gets you a totally new configuration.

7. Uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. Get it from here: www.mozilla.org . Do NOT download it from third-party sites. DO NOT get Firefox from one of the sponsored links (i.e., advertisements) in Google.

8. Work through this carefully, in case I missed anything. Or you can start with this step if you want, but don't skip the others!
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 5th, 2007, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

@Schwab: As far as i can see the Symantec/Norton Security Suite is still running.

Anonymous wrote:I've stated the problem numerous times and nobody has been able to help me.

- Firefox will not connect to the internet.
- Firewalls were off at the time of the update. Firefox will not work regardless of whether the firewall is on or off, or whether I've added it (yes, the new version) to the exceptions list.
- Norton has been uninstalled, and there are no other security programs.
- I uninstalled Firefox 2.0 and re-installed 1.5, and it still doesn't work.
- I tried all the suggestions I've seen on here, and nothing works.
Because you have no name i can not checked if you have already run the EnumProcess tool.
Do you have more than one possible network connection e.g. LAN and WLAN? If yes reorder your connections so that the LAN is the first one.

If running Vista check this too: http://robgarrett.com/cs/blogs/software ... twork.aspx
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

I've already seen all the generic advice, and none of it has been helpful.

Yes, I've run EnumProcess, here are the results:

[System Process]
System
smss.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Session Manager)
wininit.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Start-Up Application)
services.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Services and Controller app)
lsass.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Local Security Authority Process)
lsm.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Local Session Manager Service)
winlogon.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Logon Application)
audiodg.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation )
SLsvc.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Microsoft Software Licensing Service)
spoolsv.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Spooler SubSystem App)
SearchIndexer.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Microsoft Windows Search Indexer)
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Desktop Window Manager)
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Explorer)
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Task Scheduler Engine)
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe (Yahoo! Inc. / Yahoo! Messenger)
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application)
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe (Sync Manager)
wmpnetwk.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe (Microsoft Corporation / Internet Explorer)
C:\Users\Cowen\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MYFC14XH\EnumProcess[2].exe (Me, myself and I / EnumProcess)

Now what? Is there any way to get help besides this forum?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Ok, no firewall.
Can you try the wdnslookup tool to check if it can resolve some domains? Just a general check for net access.
You can run TCPView ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... pView.mspx ) to check if firefox create network sockets at all.
Use Wireshark ( http://www.wireshark.org/ ) to check if firefox is sending something at all.

I think no beside other forums. You can try the IRC channels but i do not think that the devs supply user support there.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Yes. http://www.mozilla.org/support/#third-party
And IRC (Real-Time Chat)

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:Ok, no firewall.
Can you try the wdnslookup tool to check if it can resolve some domains? Just a general check for net access.
You can run TCPView ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... pView.mspx ) to check if firefox create network sockets at all.
Use Wireshark ( http://www.wireshark.org/ ) to check if firefox is sending something at all.

I did wdnslookup, everything is fine there. As for the other stuff, I can't even figure out what they are or what to do with them. As much as I prefer Firefox, all this is way over my head and not really worth it. Thanks anyway.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Anonymous wrote:...all this is way over my head....

Yes it is complicated -- and also unnecessary, since WDNSLookup worked. You didn't get asked, did you, if wdnslookup should be allowed Internet access? (Important question!)

So did you try a new profile? That will get you a completely new, default Firefox configuration in under a minute. Then you can be fairly sure it's not a problem with Firefox itself. See my signature.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I did suggest a completely clean install of 2.0.0.4 or if that did not work 2.0.0.3 ... We can only suggest so much. If Firefox worked before the update, this should give you exactly what you had before the update.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Well stieviex,
as far as i have understood he did install FF2 and it did not work. Then he tried his old ff 1.5 and it does not work too. Either he stopped some required service or got some bad policies i do not see what the cause should be - beside a completely damaged profile/installation.

@guest: tcpview just shows all open/used network endpoints. Start it and start firefox. Does firefox appear in the tcpview window?
Last edited by trolly on June 5th, 2007, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steviex

Post by steviex »

I'm out of ideas, other than waving a stick at it and intoning 'Firefoxius Functionus' or sacrificing a goat....

Maybe getting a local computer boffin to get his hands on it may help. Its possible that something on the system has been corrupted...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.