Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post by trolly »

Updating my 1.5.0.3 took me about 2 minutes or less. 30 seconds for downloading, another 30 seconds to install the updates and i'm back. From checking till being back up online it took me less than two minutes. No problems etc.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
DCCPILOT

Post by DCCPILOT »

VanillaMozilla wrote:DCCPILOT,
There are usually only three things that can go wrong in an update:
1. Incomplete update. If update doesn't complete automatically, download the new version and install it manually. Simple.
2. Incompatible extensions. Safe mode, new profile. See my signature. Takes less than a minute to get yourself a new, pristine copy of Firefox that is not messed up.
3. Firewall.

That's all we can tell you without more information. If you notice, assuming most of the firewall problems have been taken care of, there are still about 6 or 8 people here, each likely with different problems. So give us a break and describe your problem.

By the way, the people who are helping here are just users like you.

Vanilla -

I appreciate your repeated suggestions, and those of others, which I have tried without success (firewall disable, firewall config, S/W reinstall, etc.). While I am admittedly not certified technician, I think I have at least average knowledge and skills. I can't remember another S/W upgrade, by any vendor, that took hours to try to get working. This seems particularly problematic for an app as ubiquitous as a mainstream browser.

I simply can't afford to put more time against this, and refuse to accept the assertion that users should have to go through this to enable an upgrade.
shico

Firefox update

Post by shico »

I removed firefox from ZA. After new permission, everything is fine.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I removed firefox from ZA. After new permission, everything is fine.
Hooray- another one down. Next....
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

DCCPILOT,
Uninstalling and reinstalling seldom fixes the problem. If there is a problem with Fx, it's usually in the profile, which is not affected by uninstalling or installing.

It's nice that you spent time trying to solve the problem yourself, but it's probably not a good idea to blow hours on the problem. Just ask. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get you going again, and most people are quite willing to help.

And you shouldn't have repeated problems with updating, with a possible exception if you have modified it heavily with extensions. Those just are not guaranteed to work with future versions. Period. It that's a problem for you, don't use them.

Now, security programs, especially certain firewalls, are another matter. Some of them just plain don't work right. We support those too, even though they cause an unreasonable number of problems that our totally beyond our control.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on June 5th, 2006, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I opened in safe mode then removed all extensions the culprit i found was Netcraft tool bar as it was causing firefox to crash every time I opened it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You don't have to remove extensions: you can right-click and disable them.
ZealotZ

Post by ZealotZ »

ok, i only read through the first two pages and the 9th, so i dont know if my problem is unique or not.

upon installing the update, it at first seemed to work fine, but i only used it a little (and then went to sleep).

afterwords, the next day, i left and heard from my mom and brother (who use this computer) that the internet wasnt using right and repairing the internet connection (we have cable) produced two odd errors (couldnt purge cache of something or another). the internet would still work, however, if you clicked refresh or retry enough >.>

when i got home, i researched this problem and it said it could of very well been caused by badly removed spyware or adware (i use avast!), which was possible, i suppose, and i downloaded a tool to fix it assuming it would fix all of my problems.

it, however, did not. it allowed me to connect to any site normally Except secure sights (https) (namely any email provider and google.com/ig). after researchd That problem, it said that it was an error with SSL 3.0, which i disabled, and it didnt help.

so, please, help! i dont want to have to downgrade firefox (have not yet tried, will soon and post results)

also, IE, which i hate even opening any more, runs secure sites fine.

It is Not a firewall problem (i stopped sygate [yes, i still use sygate after they went out of production] from starting up when i reinstalled avast (it has this problem where every so often it just quits appearing in the bottom right).
ZealotZ

Post by ZealotZ »

The horrors, downgraded to 1.5.0.3 and it works fine :( :( :(
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You're right, if this version connects to Web sites at least sometimes, it isn't your firewall.

If that last message from ZealotZ, then the problem seems to be with this version as configured.

Try starting it in safe mode. If that doesn't work, try creating a new profile (you can migrate your bookmarks and other data later if necessary). See my signature. Or try the Standard Diagnostic. If it still doesn't work, try uninstalling it and reinstalling a new copy <i>in a new folder</i>.
stonewood

Post by stonewood »

I thought my firewall was disabled too, but still i'm "unable to connect".

I ran that program that lists the processes. How do i find if something hidden is running and disabling my firefox connection?

thanks

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I thought my firewall was disabled too, but still i'm "unable to connect".

I ran that program that lists the processes. How do i find if something hidden is running and disabling my firefox connection?

thanks
What firewall are you using? Look here for instructions- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading ... #Firewalls
CZM

Post by CZM »

stonewood wrote:I thought my firewall was disabled too, but still i'm "unable to connect".

thanks

Also, you should post that log here so we can see it. Bet it's that darn vsmon.exe again.
ZealotZ

Post by ZealotZ »

thanks for the advice vanilla, ill certainly try those things (already tried safe mode, no help).

but, even if it does work, it still urks me pretty good because, well, the update was automatic, a so called improvement, and the only thing you have to do is click an 'OK' and restart your browser. this, however, certainly makes it a hassle, and ruins it all together. an update shouldnt be anything like this, i shouldnt have to go to these forums to try n find a solution to my problem
SaferNet4All

Post by SaferNet4All »

trolly wrote:Updating my 1.5.0.3 took me about 2 minutes or less. 30 seconds for downloading, another 30 seconds to install the updates and i'm back. From checking till being back up online it took me less than two minutes. No problems etc.

VanillaMozilla said:
"...And you shouldn't have repeated problems with updating, with a possible exception if you have modified it heavily with extensions. Those just are not guaranteed to work with future versions. Period. It that's a problem for you, don't use them..."

I use ZoneAlarm free , which really is a problem to update in itself, unless you do a total uninstall , then update.
Back on topic , the Extensions for Fx are what makes it attractive to me. Your obviously saying they can't be guaranteed as a compliment to updated Fx versions ? To me thats the problem. I understand Extensions / addons , are "third party" apps for Fx , but they are a big part of the package to myself and others.
Maybe I can live without them ... I think apart from the Firewall config. issue many users trip up and experience problems because of their extensions, and trying to maintain their existing profile . I use around 10 extensions , will probably dump them (or run in safe mode ) and see what a fresh updated Fx and new profile do for me . :)
Thanks for your support .