MozillaZine

Firefox did not work after update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 11:49 am

@B-MAN:
You have a Sygate firewall active. C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smc.exe.html
Last edited by trolly on June 2nd, 2006, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martian

User avatar
 
Posts: 32
Joined: December 1st, 2003, 7:54 am
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 11:50 am

It might be that problems with the Firefox upgrade coincided with problems with Windows Update. After running the latest Windows Update (which crashed once and told me my copy of Windows wasn't genuine before I rebooted and the problem resolved itself), I opened FF 1.5.0.4 and it worked perfectly.

So, who knows what demons were at work inside that machine, but it's working now...

trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 11:52 am

:-) Sun is shining again ... ;-)
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 12:28 pm

Ah damn i thought i uninstalled that old thing before. Thansk for the help. It works now.

Steve Davison
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 12:38 pm

Platform: Windows 2000r4, stock config., 25MB free.
I was using Firefox 1.5.0.3 and clicked on "Update" (under Help). It downloaded the update and asked if I wanted to restart, I clicked "Later" since I still had a few tabs open I was reading. I finished reading those and closed Firefox. No other applications were running at this time. I then restarted Firefox, got a message that Firefox was installing updates and would start in a few moments. I left to get some food. Upon returning I noticed it wasn't running, but didn't think much of it. I clicked my Firefox icon and I got "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
I rebooted my computer, same thing. Am too distraught now to think. Incidently, the file length is 3,514,368 bytes (3,432KB) and it does start with the MZ signature. This is being posted from IE, which does work...

p.s. 1.5.x.x often looses my bookmarks too...

rac777
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 1:06 pm

I also found my browser failed after the download. I came here and saw a post about potential firewall issues and realized Norton may have snapped Mozilla browswre and began blocking it. I went in and reset, now everything is fine.

Thing is - I've had nothing but serious issues in the past with incompatibility issues between Norton and Mozilla. I wonder what the problem is and why Mozilla and Norton can't resolve the problem with some sort of automatic patch update?

clanmesa
 
Posts: 7
Joined: April 12th, 2005, 11:17 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

I'm having different problems since the update. Links in TOCs don't go to their anchor link across a variety of sites - not all sites, but enough. PDF isn't downloading from another site.

Fix it, fix it!

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 1:35 pm

After updating to 1.5.0.4, the only issue that I noticed so far is that Javascripts are not running properly. Even allowing Javascripts to run in NoScripts.

trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 1:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Ah damn i thought i uninstalled that old thing before. Thansk for the help. It works now.

B-MAN i guess. :-)

TeHMoNkEy
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 1:59 pm

tomaszek wrote:This is unacceptable. Firefox was working fine until it automatically updated, and now it can't connect to anything. The thunderbird update to 1.5.0.4 has the same problem. Deleting the enries from zonealarm makes no difference. Shutting down zonealarm woks, but that leaves me without a firewall.


Well if shutting down ZoneAlarm works, then this is a ZoneAlarm problem and NOT a FireFox problem.

trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:00 pm

rac777 wrote:I also found my browser failed after the download. I came here and saw a post about potential firewall issues and realized Norton may have snapped Mozilla browswre and began blocking it. I went in and reset, now everything is fine.

Thing is - I've had nothing but serious issues in the past with incompatibility issues between Norton and Mozilla. I wonder what the problem is and why Mozilla and Norton can't resolve the problem with some sort of automatic patch update?
Norton have to deliver an updated footprint for every release. Don't know if any firewall manufacturer do this. The major problem is that Norton do not ask in the default setting i guess.
Last edited by trolly on June 2nd, 2006, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guest
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:02 pm

Has nothing to do with firewalls, I have disabled the only 2 I have. If the files are somehow broken in it, why release it? anyways im getting the old vesion

trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:12 pm

Steve Davison wrote:Platform: Windows 2000r4, stock config., 25MB free.
I was using Firefox 1.5.0.3 and clicked on "Update" (under Help). It downloaded the update and asked if I wanted to restart, I clicked "Later" since I still had a few tabs open I was reading. I finished reading those and closed Firefox. No other applications were running at this time. I then restarted Firefox, got a message that Firefox was installing updates and would start in a few moments. I left to get some food. Upon returning I noticed it wasn't running, but didn't think much of it. I clicked my Firefox icon and I got "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe is not a valid Win32 application."
I rebooted my computer, same thing. Am too distraught now to think. Incidently, the file length is 3,514,368 bytes (3,432KB) and it does start with the MZ signature. This is being posted from IE, which does work...

p.s. 1.5.x.x often looses my bookmarks too...
Seems something destroyed your executable. You have to download a full install to get it back. My FF 1.5.0.4 install has a size of 7.177.325 bytes.

ciskowitz
Guest
 

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:18 pm

I'm having the same problem after updating to v1.5.0.4. I use ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall. I've been using Firefox for over a year with ZA and it just stopped working today when I rebooted after updating to v1.5.0.4. No matter how I configure Firefox in ZA, it doesn't work. ZA usually will automatically recognize if a new version of a program is trying to access the Internet and prompt me to Allow\Deny. It didn;t happen with v1.5.0.4. I deleted it from the ZA Programs list and re-added with all access. No good. I keep getting "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server"

I also don't appreciate the arrogant replies such as "Well if shutting down ZoneAlarm works, then this is a ZoneAlarm problem and NOT a FireFox problem."

I don't see any reason to contact ZA if I update Firefox and it suddenly becomes incompatible with ZA. What do you think they're going to tell me? "Oh, sorry, we'll get our Tech Support staff to work on that for you!" No, they're going to tell me to contact Mozilla, since their update caused the problem.

trolly
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 39908
Joined: August 22nd, 2005, 7:25 am

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:Has nothing to do with firewalls, I have disabled the only 2 I have. If the files are somehow broken in it, why release it? anyways im getting the old version
Just updated my old 1.5.0.2 install. Very first thing after starting it: A question from my firewall if i want to allow the modified program. And i have two different versions of FF running simultaneous.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arbeeuk, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 9 guests