helper apps - Firebird on OS X

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DeltaOne81

helper apps - Firebird on OS X

Post by DeltaOne81 »

When I try to open this .smil Real playlist file, i get an error that says " 'path' could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.", where is actually says the path to the downloaded file instead of 'path.'

The only problem is, when I go to Preferences, Downloads, there's no way to create a new association. It only let's me remove a current association or remove one altogether.

I've searched Google and these forums, but haven't found a way to do this. Is there any GUI for this procedure? If not, what config file do I have to edit and how do I have to edit it? Please help. Thanks.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Could you provide me with the URL to the SMIL file, and what build you use of FB?
DeltaOne81

Post by DeltaOne81 »

1) Go to http://cornellbigred.ocsn.com - scroll down to 'Upcoming Events'... it occurs with any of the 'Listen' links.

2) I just downloaded the 12/26 nightly-build - Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20031226 Firebird/0.7+ . It was also happening with the 0.7.1 release.
DeltaOne81

Post by DeltaOne81 »

Please folks? I just want to know how to set up a Helper app for a file type in Firebird... this shouldn't be brain surgery in a modern browser, or is the feature just not there yet? If not, why can't I just save the file to the desktop and do what I want with it, instead of getting this error which then deletes the partially downloaded file.
jcraig

Post by jcraig »

Usually, you set the helper app in the app itself. For example, open RealOne/Preferences/Media Types, and make sure you have .smil associated with Real, then check Quicktime, and make sure it's NOT checked. However, I still can't get it to work. Could this be because there is NO live broadcast to listen to?
There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

Post by Guest »

No, when I copy and paste the URL from the javascript command into Real, it works fine. It's not free, Real then calls the browser again, which brings you to the login page, but it should at least be doing that. I've never heard of a browser not having the ability to set Helper apps. Netscape 4 has it!

It works fine with IE, so I can just use that to listen, but I can't believe that Firebird doesn't have this option.