clipboard buffer clearing on exit (linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
inanutshell

clipboard buffer clearing on exit (linux)

Post by inanutshell »

I've noticed that if I copy a URL, close firefox, then attempt to paste.... my clipboard has been cleared of the URL. I have to copy the URL, paste it somewhere, then close firefox.

I've looked online and all I've found so far are references to some malware thing that doesn't let you copy/paste at all, but those are windows apps.

I looked in the about:config and only found an "autocopy" feature.

Is there any way to get firefox (and thunderbird, for that matter, as it does the same thing) to use the system's clipboard (as I assume it's using its own, and thus the reason for the purge...)?

Post by Guest »

On linux, contents copied to the clipboard must be "owned" by some program. Once
the owning program goes away, the clipped text disappears from the clipboard.

To work around this, run 'xclipboard'. Programs will copy text to the clipboard, then
xclipboard will take ownership of the text. Now you can close applications and still
keep their copied text.
inanutshell

Post by inanutshell »

thanks!
blueh2o

Re: clipboard buffer clearing on exit (linux)

Post by blueh2o »

That's crazy talk. Other apps don't behave like this. If I copy something from gEdit, then close gEdit, I can still paste that stuff somewhere else.
Dartman

Re: clipboard buffer clearing on exit (linux)

Post by Dartman »

Why post to a thread 4.5 years old? Start a new thread for any problems you may have.

Thread closed.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.