What is (to be done about) 'net reset error'

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jorygos

What is (to be done about) 'net reset error'

Post by jorygos »

I don't get all graphics on pages (some signatures and avatars show for example while others don't); I get many (not all) pages that have 'net reset error' printed somewhere at the top of the pages (while pages can seem either normal or normal except for some graphics missing); and I regularly get no page at all, but a message 'net reset error, link was unexpectadly broken' (often trying 3 or 4x does get it through eventually).

History: I installed Aston desktop, seemed okay, but one of it's skins I tried apparantly had something very nasty in it. From then on every time I chose to start Firebird, IE was started instead (even while Firebird was still default browser!); which immediately went to nasty sites. By the time I found out what was wrong and stopped it, and then ran spybot, adaware and antivir, ELEVEN hijackers showed up and lots of other nasties (no viruses reported). Managed to get them all off; but my browsersettings both of Avant and Firebird, and some 'deeper embedded' stuff too, showed to be all messed up. Hardly any links worked at all, that is if I managed to connect in the first place...

Managed to get almost everything working again, Avant okay now, but with Firebird the above faults remain. Mind you, maybe I caused them myself when trying to fix all the changed settings (mainly under tools-advanced preferences); maybe I changed something 'back' that wasn't changed after all, there was só much messed up there it could well have happened :(

I also reinstalled Firebird twice; reinstalled java and java-applet; reinstalled network-drivers; made new connections; reinstalled modems (I'm on ISDN). I'm out of options now for these last leftovers (that in my opinion, seeing Avant now working okay, must be leftovers somewhere in Firebird), so I hope someone can help me with this. My computer-savvy on scale 1-10 would be about 4 or 5; so by no way a super-heroe, please think of that in your answers...

Thanks for any replies :)

(My firebird is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031112 Firebird/0.7+)
. . XP-pro; P4; 512 kb; 2,4 Mhz; Hd40 + Hd10; . .
. . . . . ISDN-conn; ZoneAlarm+AntiVir; . . . . .
. . . Firebird 0.7+; Thunderbird0.3 (20031013). . .

with friendly greetings
Jorygos
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Have you tried running Firebird with a new profile, through the Run command: "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe" -p ?

Post by Guest »

Thanks John, hadn't thought of that yet and indeed the problems are gone! Of course lots of settings are too, so I'll have to put them up again; but it's worth it. :D