can't open firefox after downloading site advisor...

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

According to their support site (http://support.siteadvisor.com/support- ... rating=yes) it is a conflict with FF's automatic proxy scripting. Which makes the plugin a non-starter for me, thanks McAfee.
Simen

Post by Simen »

Explained to me from SA:

Hi Simen,

There is currently a conflict between SiteAdvisor and automatic proxy configuration scripts in Firefox. To get SiteAdvisor installed you need to temporarily disable your automatic proxy configuration script.

If you have already used Firefox's safe mode to remove SiteAdvisor and want to reinstall it:
1. Install SiteAdvisor from: http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff_preinstall.html
2. Exit Firefox
3. Start Firefox in safe mode (Start, All Programs, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)) and change the connection setting (Tools, Options, General tab, "Connection Settings") to "Direct connection to the Internet"
4. Exit and restart Firefox; you should be prompted to accept SiteAdvisor's license agreement 5. Return your connection setting to your automatic proxy configuration, then restart Firefox

If you are stuck and cannot start Firefox and want to get SiteAdvisor installed:
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, (click Task Manager if it does not display), click the Processes tab in Task Manager, if "firefox.exe" is listed in the Processes list, click to select it then click the "End Process" button 2. Close Task Manager 3. Start Firefox in safe mode (Start, All Programs, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)) and change the connection setting (Tools, Options, General tab, "Connection Settings") to "Direct connection to the Internet"
4. Exit and restart Firefox; you should be prompted to accept SiteAdvisor's license agreement 5. Return your connection setting to your automatic proxy configuration, then restart Firefox
Singa

Post by Singa »

Anyone having problem running SiteAdvisor v 22 on FF 1.5.0.5 ?
Bud Chekov

Siteadvisor problem

Post by Bud Chekov »

I had exactly the same problem with the Mcafee SA update. Install,Crash Firefox,Safe reset,uninstall: four times over! Big THANKS to Solution 12( and the post above) for the Version 21 link. It installed with no problem and everything works fine,the way it did before the upcrash.
Bud Chekov

Siteadvisor problem

Post by Bud Chekov »

Just a follow up , Mcafee SiteAdvisor Support have instructions on how to install Version 22 in Firefox. Go to Safe mode and make certain adjustments etc. Great! But why don't Mcafee just FIX the problem? I'll just stick with Version 21 until FIREFOX tell us it's SAFE to update.
scvoasu

Safe Mode?

Post by scvoasu »

I can't even get firefox to open in safe mode. I've dowloaded things to try and fix this problem but none of them have worked? Got any ideas?
scvoasu

Safe Mode?

Post by scvoasu »

I can't even get firefox to open in safe mode. I've dowloaded things to try and fix this problem but none of them have worked? Got any ideas?
scvoasu

Safe Mode?

Post by scvoasu »

Dervos

nada

Post by Dervos »

I downloaded whatever the latest version was back in early February, and it worked fine for a week, then it and Safe Mode wouldn't open. Its been working for a day or two and then not working for weeks ever since. It just plain won't open at all!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, try a new profile and you can have a totally new setup. See my signature.
steviex

Post by steviex »

BTW The current versions of Firefox are 1.5.0.11 and 2.0.0.3

These are the latest versions with all of the known (so far) security holes plugged....

The 1.5.0.* branch will only be receiving updates for ONE more month

Those of you on 1.5.0.4 and 1.5.0.5 are strongly urged to update to at least 1.5.0.11

There have been a lot of reported problems with this addon, so I would suggest that you all drop Mcafee a line and have a whinge at them to debug their extension and make it compatible with the current versions of Firefox.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
FluffsMom

Post by FluffsMom »

Ok everyone, you have me totally confused.
This much I understand:
I have the same problem - no Firefox in any form (regular or safe) or in task manager.
Now in terms a novice like me can understand - what exactly do I need to domto get Firefox back, step by step?
and what is a Profile for Firefox, how do I create one, and how do I create a backup?

I get the general idea of what has happened I just can't follow what I am supposed to uninstall, download, etc.
(I am using XP with McAfee, if that is any help)

Thank you
shadab1976

Post by shadab1976 »

I cant even open firefox in safemode nor the profile files nor after uninstalling and installing it several time its been a month i have been trying this but nothing works pls pls help.
I have VISTA HOME PREMIUM. so pls before i give up someone from here can help i am just frustrated there is no solution anyone can give its just disgusting i hate firefox now.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

shadab1976,
Please stay in your own topic rather than hijacking other people's. You are already being helped.
m1scha.m

Post by m1scha.m »

Here's a suggestion to fix this problem: ditch McAfee.

Its not that good, and you need to pay for it. AVG and Avast are free for personal use, and they don't have these problems.

http://free.grisoft.com/
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html