Cache refuses to clear?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kyerthewizardmon

Cache refuses to clear?

Post by kyerthewizardmon »

I just discovered this when at one of my forums where a smiie suddenly wasn't animating like it should. Was told to clear my 'cache'. I found that under Tools/Options/ and hit the clear button. But the button didn't fade like, say, the cookie button fades once you hit it.

The smilie problem did go away, but now I was curious-- was the cache clearing?
It took some doing but I finally found the path to the Firebird cache. It's chock full of files. So I went back and hit clear for Cache. No change. Hit Clear All. Still no change!

Now I went to my Mozilla 1.5 browser (whch I very rarely use) and cleared it's cache. Went into the Mozilla cache folder via C:/windows like with Firebird-- the four files that were there previously were also still showing.

Is this a Mozilla/Firebird bug?
kyerthewizardmon

Oops.. forgot to put info on. I'm using Firebird .07 and Moilla 1.5 browsers on a Windows ME system.
asquithea

Post by asquithea »

Interesting. The cache button fades for me (though I didn't check to see if the cache was genuinely empty). Typing about:cache showed one entry remaining following the clear (possibly the about:cache page itself?).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208 Firebird/0.7+
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Also. look in your profile folder for Cache and Cache.Trash folders.
IF there is something the Cache.Trash folder, it has been my experience the 'Clear' button will not clear it. I've tried with Options|Privacy , QuickPrefs and the X Paranoia extenison.
Nothing I've got clears it if the Cache.Trash is populated.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
kyerthewizardmon

I tried both the trash and the regular cache folders. After hitting the clear buttons on both browsers I headed directly the the folders in question on my C drive.

Mozilla Cache Trash was empty.
Mozilla Cache had four files in it.
Mozilla Firebird (phoenix) Cache still has LOTS of files.
Mozilla Firebird (phoenix) Cache Trash still has lots of files.
kyerthewizardmon

dang-- forgot to ask again..

Is it okay to manually delete the folders in the Caches by going into C again, selecting All and hitting delete?
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Yes! Better yet, just delete the Cache and Cache.Trash folders instead of going into them.
They will be rebuilt when you next start FB.
BTW, the Mozilla Cache fodlers will not be cleared by FB.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
kyerthewizardmon

Thanks, much for that info, couldabeen. And a Happy New Year too!