Firebird needs 2 minutes to start and fragges the whole sys

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
KaffeeKiffer

Firebird needs 2 minutes to start and fragges the whole sys

Post by KaffeeKiffer »

Hi folks,
I'm using Windows XP SP1 (I must do it because Nforce 2 has no Win 98 drivers and my linux isn't just very good for gaming and atm it's not even installed because I wait for the new kernel 2.6 update ;)) and got a serious problem with my firebird 0.7 (official release AND nightly build(s)...):

Everytime I try to start my firebird (the official 0.7 and the newest 0.7 NightlyBuild) he runs the whole program quite fast but WITHOUT displaying my personal toolbar, which needs almost 2 minutes to start up. In this 2 minutes I can't do anything: The clock freezes (just like the whole system), CPU usage goes up to 100% and stays their for the whole time...

When firebird started up at last I mustn't minimize it or the whole PCs is fragged ... everything works very slow then. If i write sth., for example he waits and waits and waits, then he displays the 2-3 written lines in a row, then he waits, waits, waits and display the next lines , and so on (accessing the HDD is impossible, because it's MUCH TOO SLOW at this time)

The thing i noticed: If I go to the firebird profile folder I can't delete my cache folder because a file named _cache_001_
If I try to delete, rename, cut, copy, even just CLICK on that file the whole system acts like I explained some lines above... Nothing works anymore ...

I had this problemes 5 days ago, too but then I COULD delete the _cache_001_ with some tricks but that doesn't work anymore ...

And sorry for my bad english, but i'm just a little german boy ;) btw.: Atm I'm in with Mozilla browser suite (1.7a) and this works quite good, but firebird is much better :(
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

When Firebird is closed, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and see if Firebird is still running. Seeing how you can't delete your cache file, I think it's because the Firebird process isn't terminating at all on your computer, hence the slow memory eatage.
KaffeeKiffer

Post by KaffeeKiffer »

Even if I hadn't run firebird on the startup, I can't delete this file .... (And quick start is deactivated, too)
frease

Post by frease »

Can you try a new profile? Close all instances if FB and RUN

"path:\to\firebird\mozillafirebird.exe" -p

Post by Guest »

Creating a new folder gave me the possibility to run fb again without problems, so thx :), but I had the problem once and I could deleted the COMPLETE profile folder , but the problem occured again after some days and then I COULDN'T delete the profile folder anymore.
So am I expected to create a new profile every 5 days (or whatever ?)

Now I'm tryin' to delete the old profile, but guess that's still gonna frag the system ;)
KaffeeKiffer

Post by KaffeeKiffer »

Ok. Firebird works well still after restart, but I can't delete the old profile folder; neither by using the Explorer nor by using firebirds profile management. So scandisk, virusscan, defrag and everything is impossible on drive c:\ :(

another thing I forgot, but I think that doesn't matter: I'm using tabextensions (installed in profile folder)
( http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_ta ... ns.html.en )
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Try logging in as a different user and delete the phoenix folder C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Phoenix . If you're the only user, login as the administrator in safe mode. Hold down the F8 key just at the end of the BIOS, just before Windows starts to boot, then use the up arrow to highlight SAFE MODE and click enter. Then log in as the administrator and delete your profile from there.
Try running Firebird without any extensions. You can't blame Firebird for bugs you cause with the extensions you choose to install.

Post by Guest »

I just said it at the beginning: I just tried everything to delete this file (except DOS mode and atm I'm searching for a start-disc fpr dos-mode):
I tried safe mode in the beginning when i had this problem(I'm using the PC since Dos/Win 3.1 so i'm used to this stuff ;))but that didn't work either (System still freezed when I selected that file)
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

If you can't delete the file in safe mode it's probably time to reinstall Windows.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

This is probably due to an indexing bug in Windows XP. Try the following (this will be in German, sorry to all the others ;)):

1.) Rechts-Klick auf der Datei -> Eigenschaften -> Allgemein -> Dateiattribute -> Erweitert... -> "Inhalt für schnelle Dateisuche indizieren" abwählen.

2.) Hilft das noch nicht, dann starte regedit.exe und lösche "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32"

After a restart you should be able to delete the file in question.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
KaffeeKiffer

Post by KaffeeKiffer »

Finally did it with a good old win98 boot disk who starts the REAL dos ...
@laszlo: 1.) No such entry in my preferences
2.) lots of inprocserver32 in my reg but not there where you said it.

I guess i figured out the problem, too: Everytime I tried to open a pdf the acrobat loaded, but didn't show it and the cpu usage went up to 100%. after the shutdown with ctrl+alt+del the firebird was always fu**ed up...