Help with downloading files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
golly

Help with downloading files

Post by golly »

Hello,
I am a new user of Firebird. I find it extremely fast and powerful. But I am facing a problem now. I am using a download manager for downloads (Download Accelerator). Usually it catches clicks within the browser. But some sites require that you disable the download manager. In that case I right click the link and select "Save link to disk". The browsers download winow opens and shows that the file is being downloaded. But it finishes too quickly and when I try to open the downloaded file, it turns out to be corrupted. The file size also does not match. I could be downloading a 300 KB file and it only downloads like 1 KB.

Here's an example of a link that does not work http://www.digital-digest.net/downloads/files/virtualdub/vdub_mp3_freeze.zip

I tried disabling the download manager completely and tried. Still to no avail. I am using Firebird 0.7 on an Intel P-4 with Windows XP Professional. I have the download manager status bar extension installed.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. And I'm sorry if my post is rambling. I wanted to explain clearly.

Thank you for reading
jbs3645

Post by jbs3645 »

golly, followed your link. You should read item 3. (# You must left click on the link - right clicking or copying the link to your browser's location bar is not allowed.) As you can see you must left click on the link, not right click. Try doing that and see what happens.
golly

downloading query

Post by golly »

Thanks jbs3645 for responding to my post.
I should have read that page a little carefully. Anyway here's what happened when I tried left clicking the link. Download Accelerator was still catching the clicks (even though in the settings, I had disabled browser integration and removed the program from the system tray).

Here's a screenshot of what used to happen when I left clicked http://willow.kiffer.at/

Finally I had to go into the Firebird plugins directory and rename the DAP plugin file (nsdap.dll) to something meaningless, restart Firebird and then left click on the link. Then it would dowload correctly.

Would I have to do this everytime?

Thanks again for responding to my post. I appreciate it.

Post by Guest »

where are the mozilla firebird folders located. I can't find
frease

Post by frease »

Anonymous wrote:where are the mozilla firebird folders located. I can't find

The program folder is found where you installed it. Did you use the installer or the zip file to install?

The profile folder is found here:

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\

On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.
golly

Downloading

Post by golly »

Anonymous wrote:where are the mozilla firebird folders located. I can't find

I had used the zip file to install Firebird. I just unzipped it into C:\Program Files\.
It extracted into a folder named MozillaFirebird.

So I guess the complete path to the plugins directory would be:

C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird\plugins

Your path may be different depending on where you chose to install it.

Thanks for reading