loading java applets

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bgo

loading java applets

Post by bgo »

How can you speed up the loading of java applets in Firebird? Everything works, it just takes forever for them to come up.

Would appreciate some info.
Thanks a lot
SoaRex

Re: loading java applets

Post by SoaRex »

bgo wrote:How can you speed up the loading of java applets in Firebird? Everything works, it just takes forever for them to come up.

What is your Sun Java version?
If you are using 1.4.0 or 1. 3 or older, try latest 1.4.2_03.
Startup time was improved from almost forever to affordable (drastic improvement! :D ) when minor update of 1.4.1 in my environment(Win-Me,Cerelon 500MHz).

Post by Guest »

Am using the 1.4.2_o2 version, Win 98SE, pentium III 700 MHZ.
Maybe what I have is as good as it gets.

Thanks for the response
neilm

Post by neilm »

Anyone know how to use this with firebird? I tried downloading the one from sun and the one from netscape but yet it still the "get java plugin" splash display.
neilm

Post by neilm »

neilm wrote:Anyone know how to use this with firebird? I tried downloading the one from sun and the one from netscape but yet it still the "get java plugin" splash display.
NVM, that reg fix seemed to have fixed it!
SoaRex

Post by SoaRex »

Anonymous wrote:Am using the 1.4.2_o2 version

Main part of long Java Applet start-up time is "Java Virtual Machine(JVM) initialization" time.

MS Windows always does "Microsoft VM initialization" as boot-up process for IE(=OS component :D ) and "Almost forever freeze" is hidden in long boot-up time.
This is the magic of "IE does not have Java startup time problem" if IE setting for Java is "Use Microsoft VM".

If you use Mozilla, "JVM Initialization" of Sun Java can be kicked by (A) First applet start, or (B) Starting Java Console through "Tools/Java Console" menu.
Unfortunately, Firebird does not have "Tools/Java Console" menu.
There is no choice other than (A) in current Firebird/Sun Java.

Try next.
(1) Set Java Applet page as "Home Page"
(2) Start Firebird
(3) See Java applet page

Please note that you have to torelate "almost forever freeze" in step (2) in return for short wait in step (3).

Post by Guest »

neilm wrote:
neilm wrote:Anyone know how to use this with firebird? I tried downloading the one from sun and the one from netscape but yet it still the "get java plugin" splash display.
NVM, that reg fix seemed to have fixed it!

Could you explain this? Thanks.