Why does firebird get associated with .jpg images

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ken481

Why does firebird get associated with .jpg images

Post by ken481 »

I have noted that after setting firebird as my default browser it became associated with .jpg images. Is there a way to control the file associations of firebird?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

What OS are you using?

Under Windows - right click on a jpg-file and then "Open with" and "Choose program" - check the box after having browsed for the software you like and the setting should be saved.
ken481

Post by ken481 »

Well i did that and it does use paint as a defualt program to open the .jpg yet the icon is still that of firebird. also why did the.jpg images get associated with firbird in the first place
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

You can change the icon under Control Panel/Folder Options/Files

Firebird takes over some fileextensions that it should not. As far as I know it is due to a bug.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Firebird takes over some fileextensions that it should not. As far as I know it is due to a bug.

You make it sound like it happened by accident. Firebird takes over images because Netscape wanted Mozilla to take over images (on the grounds that in a default system they would otherwise be associated with IE), and it hasn't been changed since then. That's the history - there is, as you say, a bug filed to change the behaviour.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Thank you for the extra information.
ken481

Post by ken481 »

OK thanks i hope that someday this will be changed
Kloos

Post by Kloos »

The sooner it's changed the better. It's a real pain.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

Anonymous wrote:The sooner it's changed the better. It's a real pain.
I agree :(
ExDeus

Post by ExDeus »

ken481 wrote:Well i did that and it does use paint as a defualt program to open the .jpg yet the icon is still that of firebird. also why did the.jpg images get associated with firbird in the first place

After changing the file association so that .jpg files open in another program, the icon should change to the icon for that program. The Firebird icons have a tendency to stick around longer than they should, so if you reset your display's color depth it will rebuild the icon cache and it should then use the correct icons.

Using Windows: right-click on the Desktop, select Properties, go to the Settings tab, change the "Color quality" setting to anything else and then click Apply. Change it back and click OK.

If that doesn't work, right-click on the Desktop and select Refresh. If that still doesn't do it, use your computer for a week or two and the icons will eventually change.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Or change the icon under Control Panel/Folder Options/and Files. You can change actions and icon for each and every protocol in there.
DallasBill

Post by DallasBill »

However, changing the icon that way does not change the (newly entrenched FB) system default. Hit the default button there and back it goes to FB!

The quickest... and permanent... way is when you are at Control Panel/Folder Options/ Files: for each extension, such as .jpg... and there will be others... delete that type. Then, the file system will rebuild/reassociate to what it was originally set by Windows.

This works for Win2K and XP... no idea if it will with Win9x.
...Bill
SuperSheep

Post by SuperSheep »

DallasBill wrote:The quickest... and permanent... way is when you are at Control Panel/Folder Options/ Files: for each extension, such as .jpg... and there will be others... delete that type. Then, the file system will rebuild/reassociate to what it was originally set by Windows.

This works for Win2K and XP... no idea if it will with Win9x.

Um. I did this and the system did _NOT_ rebuild my icons. Now I just have missing icons and that system doesn't know what to do with those particular extensions. Could you be more specific as to what exactly I'm supposed to do now.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

Post by Guest »

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

you can rebuild your icons at any time with this tool, also it has other great features, check it out.