Windows XP Media Center Edition WMP plugin problem solved:

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Samu

Embed objects in web pages

Post by Samu »

When accessing a web page with embed object like a mp3 file to be played, firefox does not recognised the plugin and does not play the file.
I have Media Player 10 installed and dont understand why that happens.
Help!!!
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

I had some problems with all of he solutions, because none of them worked 100% for som strange reason.

1. I first tried to install the activex plugin for FF 1.5, BUT this didn't work
2. I then tried to copy the "missing" .dll files to the FF directory, BUT THIS didn't work
3. Then tried upgrading to FF 2.0 Beta, didn't work either (then uninnstalled and deleted FF entirely and reinstaled 1.5)
4. IN between here I tried removing all plugins from FF......nope.
5. Then I tried to reinstall WMPlayer 10, but I got an error saying "your WMPLayer is newer then the one you are trying to install, installation aborted"
6. Then I tried installing WMPlayer 11, but this didn't sort out my "radio player" problems........BUT in between all this HASSLE, I got a video feed from www.break.com but DONT know which of the above poits fixed than problem....

7. The final and the solution to all of this was to install the XP N/XP Euro N "solution".........

IF I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY MACHINE, I WILL POST THEM HERE IN THIS THREAD.

I'm going to install the udate Microsoft is telling me about and see if I still get radio/video feed from various sites...

Sebastian
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

Strange, very strange.....

Now when I want to stream something, the WMPlayer loads, but the stream doesn't open. I can right-click and get the following error message :

"Windows Media Player cannot play any items in the playlist. To find information about the problem, click the Now Playing tab, and then click the icon next to each file in the List pane."

Hmmm....stranger still
Sebastian78

Post by Sebastian78 »

SOLVED : I had installen AC3 Codec (ac3filter_0_70b.exe) after I had it working, but after I uninstalled the codec, everthing worked again....

I'm startng to like the new Apple ad "It works out of the box"....hehe.

S
Alice

Post by Alice »

Sebastian78 wrote: 7. The final and the solution to all of this was to install the XP N/XP Euro N "solution"

Thanks for posting back with the solution you found for the missing WMP plugin issue. (I see from your list of attempted solutions that you didn't try the other fix I mentioned, installing the WMP plugin for Netscape Navigator.)

Sebastian78 wrote: "Windows Media Player cannot play any items in the playlist. To find information about the problem, click the Now Playing tab, and then click the icon next to each file in the List pane."
<snip>
SOLVED : I had installen AC3 Codec (ac3filter_0_70b.exe) after I had it working, but after I uninstalled the codec, everthing worked again....

Thanks for posting the solution to that other problem as well. I remembered from another thread that WMP problems can be caused by added codecs. Microsoft recommends caution when installing codecs.
Alice

Re: Embed objects in web pages

Post by Alice »

Samu wrote:When accessing a web page with embed object like a mp3 file to be played, firefox does not recognised the plugin and does not play the file.
I have Media Player 10 installed and dont understand why that happens.
Help!!!

That's a different issue. Embedded .mp3 files are not normally opened by the Windows Media Player plugin. If you have Quicktime installed, it can be configured to handle embedded .mp3 files and other file formats. See if these articles help (if not, you should start a new topic):
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Video_or_audio_doesn%27t_play
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quicktime#Qui ... r_settings