random errors in XP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
josenightbreed

random errors in XP

Post by josenightbreed »

](*,)
Hi everybody!
I have been using firebird 0.7 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7) for about 1 week now and I love it. I even set it a my default browser. I used to use Mozilla 1.4 but i did not like it as much as I've liked firebird :D .
Ok my problem is that today i downloaded quite a few extensions for Firebird and it has started giving me the firebird has generated errors and xp needs to close firebird.exe .... blah...blah...dialog. It happens only when I try to lunch the browser and sometimes when firebird tries to open another browser window. Up till now I just close it and open again and it keeps working until it decides to crash again ](*,) .

Any help is greatly appreciated
:2gunfire: please excuse my poor english
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

It would help greatly if you told us what extensions you tried to download, if you closed the browser between every extension install and so on.
I'm nice
josenightbreed

Post by josenightbreed »

The extensions i installed are:

adblock
all in one gestures 0.9
autohide tool box
block fall
bookmark link checker 0.5.2
bookmark backup 0.2
bugxula
quick tools open calendar 2003.1029.0
cards 0.11.0
chrom edit 0.0.5.1
copy image 0.1 (disabled)
cute menus v0.3
dictionary search 0.1
gigger v0.5.0
external applications button 0.6.3 (disabled)
image zoomer
minesweeper 0.5.2
mozex 1.07 (disabled)
mab
mozcalc 2003.1013.0
blogthis
mozedit 0.1.1
browser uptime 1.0.1
popup count 0.2.5
chatzilla
popup alt attribute
download sort 2.0.1
help viwer
preferential
ie view 0.6
prefbuttons 0.2
java script console status 1.0 (disabled)
quicktools 2003.1029.0
jslib
quickmanager 2003.1022.0
launchy
quicknote 0.4pre3
linkvisitor 030.20030908
quickprefs v1.0
linky
reload every 0.1 (disabled)
mozilla mng decoder 1.0.5-1
session saver 0.2 (disabled)
needle search toolbar
show failed url 0.1.1
display next/previous image
tabbrowser extensions
work offline
optimoz tweaks
themer
paste ip 1.0
things they left out 0.1.4.2
scribe 0.1
trivial 0.0.6 [2003 11 11]
search this
work offline 0.2
advance search sidebar extension
slashzilla
smoothwheel v0.32 (2003-08-02)
statusbar clock 1.3.1
stumbleupon toolbar (disabled)
tabbrowser preferences
text/plain
wml browserv 0.4.1

I've marked with ""(disabled)"" the ones i have disabled triyng to find out why it crashes
I also missed the part about restarting the browser bettwen the install of each extension and installed them all and then restared the browser
hehe upss :)
dacovale

Post by dacovale »

The browser crashed because you installed too many extensions, and extensions that conflict with eachother.
For example, "Tabbroser prefences" and "tabbrowser extensions" conflict with eachother and can't be installed together.
There are other examples of conflicts in your list too, but I don't really know all these extensions, so I won't even try to list them all.
Genereally, installing 64 (!!!) extensions isn't a good idea.
For a basic rule about installing extensions, don't install two extensions that seem to overlap eachother in functionality.
I'm nice

Post by Guest »

thanks dacovale :D

I followed you're advice and reviwed wich extensions I would benefit from and removed the others, and miracale cure! no more crashes.
I installed so many to see how they worked and didn't think that it would affect firebird much. I thought that it just might slow it down a little. Curiosity killed the cat hehehe.

Thank a lot again, you were of great help to me

Jose Cortes
josenightbreed

Post by josenightbreed »

forgot to log in hehehe

Anonymous wrote:thanks dacovale :D

I followed you're advice and reviwed wich extensions I would benefit from and removed the others, and miracale cure! no more crashes.
I installed so many to see how they worked and didn't think that it would affect firebird much. I thought that it just might slow it down a little. Curiosity killed the cat hehehe.

Thank a lot again, you were of great help to me

Jose Cortes
Xpirex

Post by Xpirex »

Wow.. that's one hell of an extention list you have there..
josenightbreed

Post by josenightbreed »

Yeah , and adding to the list of reasons tha DSL became available in my area a shor time ago and I recently got it..... You can image how I've been downloading.
hehehehe

Post by Guest »

Hi all, I'm having the same problem, and I have no extensions installed at all. Both Mozilla and Firebird will vanish into thin air, leaving me staring at my desktop. Sometimes, when it feels like it, Windows will offer to send an error report. I politely answer no. I've just installed XP Pro, and Moz and Bird are nice clean new installs. This is very frustrating, and worst of all, I'm having to type this using IE. Yuk.
josenightbreed

Post by josenightbreed »

Hi dude !

That sounds more like a windows problem more than firebird and mozilla. But you can never rule out the possibility that mozilla and firebird are causing the error. My problem was with the extensions alone, and i have since yesterday installed firebird in my laptop and the pc i have in my work room and no problems what-so-ever.. My laptop has Win2K and my work pc has XP-Pro as this pc that I have in my room that I use as a file server and leisure pc.

Ok the first thing you should do is uninstall firebird and mozilla and delete profile folders inside the ""documents and settings\{you're profile name}\Application Data'' folder, and delete any leftovers of mozilla and firebird in ""Program Files"" or wherever you installed it. Then do another install of both mozilla and firebird, this will be a clean install.
If you're problem persists I recomend that you reformat you're hard drive and install windows again, (i'ts easier that way than finding out what's wrong with windows as most of the time it's a wild goose chase).

Hope everything goes well dude
Have a nice day 0X

Post by Guest »

I have XPro on a laptop and Firebird works like a dream...